Saturday 8 October 2011

Local Food Market.

I'm having a pretty relaxing Saturday today, it's 1.30, I'm still in my pyjamas & I'm munching on some rye sourdough toast topped with peanut butter & banana. Yum! I think most of the day will be spent grazing on leftovers, reading blogs, pulling the coming weeks cookbooks out of the hat & writing many lists. I love lists!

The Brighton & Hove Food Festival took place here during September & the event came to a close with a Sussex & The World Food Market. Nick & I decided to cycle down to Hove lawns to see if there'd be any vegan eats on offer & we were pretty optimistic because Brighton's a pretty vegan friendly city.

First we stumbled upon Moshi Moshi's stand. This local vegan friendly sushi restaurant had a vegan chicken curry on offer alongside a mixed vegan sushi box.

The box of maki rolls contained 2 avocado, 2 cucumber, 1 inari tofu, celery, red radish, lettuce & campio, 1 vegan cheese & sun blushed tomato and 1 tofu, mizuna, sun blushed tomato, red onion & cucumber. I loved this mixed box. I'm not really a celery fan so I wouldn't ever have picked that maki roll off of their menu but it was probably my favourite of the bunch & I'll definitely be ordering it next time I visit.

There was only one entirely vegan stand at the festival run by local company Titbits Catering. They had both sweet & savoury items & we picked up a few things to take to eat on the beach.

We had a Sausage Roll which was flavoured with rosemary.

It was really tasty but the real star of the show was the Apple & Blackberry Crumble Tart.

This was SO good & its also kind of a genius idea. I love crumble & this is a fantastic way to make it portable. This crumble was made from apples from the ladies of Titbits' gardens too which made it extra special. We also picked up a couple of chocolate chip cookies, who could resist them at 80p each?

These were great melt in your mouth cookies & I loved that they were filled with a good amount of chocolate chips.

I love Brighton in the summer & cycling around town & eating delicious food was definitely a great way to enjoy one of the last warm days of 2011.

I'll be back tomorrow for Football Food Sunday, see ya then!

19 comments:

  1. That sushi box looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sushi box looks amazing, I'm so happy you live in such a vegan friendly place. That crumble tart looks divine too...oohhh I feel a tart coming on...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm getting really jealous now that I wasn't there with you eating all of that super tasty food... Next time you are inviting me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I haven't had a sausage roll since I lived in England and wasn't vegan. So I probably, 13 years old. So long ago! That makes me really happy to see, it brings back so many memories. It looks great too.

    That crumble definitely steals the show though. By far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those rolls look divine! Usually our only choices while out is plane avo or cuke. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your blog and all your food challenges. It looks like you're having a really excellent Mofo :)

    -jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brighton looks so lovely. We visited Bristol last summer, but I stil have a little bit of regret that we didn't go to Brighton.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that crumble tart is such a great idea! and of course the sushi box looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you and me both with the love for list. i couldn't agree more! lazy saturdays are the best and i'm chill'n out in my scrub pants, eating a late lunch, check'n out the vegan blogs and i've got beans soaking for later (prepping some foods for the week). hooray for today!

    the vegan sushi looks so pretty & fantastical! i never would have picked the roll with celery inside on my own either (i'm not the biggest fan) - but so awesome on it tasting so delicious!

    both the sausage roll and the tart look great, although i can see how the tart was the yummiest! that's a steal on the cookies, too. score!

    enjoy the rest of your relaxing saturday! i'm already excitedfaced for football sunday. squeeeeeeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helloooo, quite a day on the market!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mini crumble pies, what a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on making it into the Saturday night MoFo round up!!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. ZOMG! Everything looks amazing. I wish I had such a choice of vegan sushi here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh, now I want sushiiii! What a great festival too, it looks like there were some great vegan options.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the crumble tart is adorable! and wow, i'm envious of your sushi options... we have a really yummy sushi place nearby, but only one of the rolls is vegan. thank goodness i love that one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that sushi! And that rosemary sausage roll is calling to me too. It looks like it was such a nice day out too, the pictures looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That tart! The sushi! Those are some good looking eats.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!