Thursday 22 January 2015

Koh Yao Noi, Thailand

I made it! Everything I own is in storage, there are officially people living in mine & Nick's house (which totally feels weird!) and for the next four months I'll be exploring SE Asia!!! The jet lag has subsided and given away to a cold but what better place to have a cold than in the hammock of a gorgeous bungalow on a beautiful island? No complaints here!

Despite the plan for the majority of this part of the trip being There is No Plan Nick and I spent a fairly decent amount of time researching our first stop. As well as wanting to strike the right balance between having some infrastructure (a hospital!) and not being overdeveloped (full of teenage backpackers!) we wanted pretty beaches and some shops where we'd be fairly certain we could stock up on snacks. Thanks 7/11! Koh Yao Noi really seemed like it would hit that sweet spot and we haven't been disappointed. Just in case you haven't heard of it (I had a lot of blank looks when I was telling people where we were headed first) Koh Yao Noi (or Ko Yao Noi as Lonely Planet would have it) is a small island off of the Andaman Coast closet to Phuket and not too far from Ao Nang and Krabi. We arrived by boat from Phuket's Bang Rong Pier which you can get to by taking a taxi ride (around 600THB / £12 / $18) from Phuket airport. The boat thankfully only costs 200THB / £4 / $6.

The island's population is mostly muslim meaning that a lot of the stores don't sell alcohol and there's no real nightlife to speak of - perfect for us! It also means that you need to dress conservatively away from the beaches which is something some of our fellow travellers seem to be having issues with - seeing people wandering around the town centre topless or in short shorts and bikini tops when the majority of the locals are covered from head to toe or at least shoulder to ankle is pretty icky to say the least. We've heard from locals and people living here a long time that the island's much busier than it used to be and you can see that it's rapidly changing just because of the amount of construction happening on the west coast but it does't seem busy at all. We've spent most of our time on deserted beaches and the roads were even quiet enough for Nick to brave learning to ride a scooter (I don't have a driving licence) and for me to give in and just hop on the back despite my fears / abject terror after seeing him try to stop once already...let's just say we got off to a wobbly start & now I only think we're going to crash into the bushes once a day!


Despite there being no Happy Cow listings for Ko Yao Noi (don't worry, I'm on it!) vegan restaurant eats have been relatively easy to come by although we have become obsessed with the vegan Jay labelled frozen ready meals from 7/11 to the extent that we've actually eaten them all. Not all as in we've tried them all, all as in there are none left on the island. Oops.


We're especially loving the Vegetarian Fried Rice but the mock meat and tofu filled vegetarian Chinese Five Spice Stewed with Rice is also a fun meal. There are a couple of others, including Red Curry and Stir Fried Basil with Vegetarian Protein, but being allergic to chilli means I have to pass on them. They're pretty simple meals but at around 38THB / 80p / $1.20 each they're budget friendly as well as tasty and filling.

Rice Paddy was one of the first restaurants we tried as it had both good reviews and was listed as having veggie options on Trip Advisor. The German owner totally understood both veganism and my allergies and was able to recommend dishes from their vegetarian menu. The veg menu includes both oyster and fish sauce as they're considered veggie here but there's a note at the top of the menu reminding you to specify if you want to avoid fish, oyster or eggs.

We picked the Pad Pak Ruam, vegetable stir fry, which we had stir fried in soy sauce. We also ordered a Sweet & Sour Seafood dish minus the peppers and a couple of sides of rice.


On one visit I also tried the vegetarian lamb which is made from mushrooms rather than wheat gluten. It was peppery and delicious but no good for Nick who may be the world's biggest mushroom hater - this works out well for me though!


The Pad Pak Ruam was our favourite dish overall and I especially loved the freshness of the snap peas and the inclusion of so many kinds of mushroom. The Sweet & Sour Seafood was fun, and I loved the prawns themselves, but I don't think I'll ever be a huge fan of warm cucumber.

A classic vegan treat in Thailand is mango sticky rice that, as far as my research tells me, needs no modifications. I wasn't in love with this version as I found the addition of coconut cream a little cloying but Nick loved it.


If you're on Koh Yao I would definitely recommend Rice Paddy especially as it actually overlooks a rice paddy. We saw water buffalo there one afternoon and on another there were loads of fun birds doing their thang.

We ended up at Italian run spot La Luna for dinner one night mainly because it was the only place with obviously veganisable food within walking distance of where we were staying. It's only around 15 minutes away which at night, as there are no pavements or lights, is about as far as I'd like to venture on foot. The pizza wasn't exceptional, the crust was a little on the thin side and they could have ladled on a little more tomato, but I was pleased that they were pretty generous with the veggie toppings.


One thing we did get excited about was the dessert menu, we assumed we wouldn't be ordering anything but a whole page of it was devoted to homemade, fruit based, vegan ice cream! Now I know that I've ranted about frozen banana not being ice cream in the past, and I do still stand by that, but this raw banana based sorbet / gelato hybrid was totally refreshing and actually quite delicious as well as being unexpected. We tried banana strawberry and banana raspberry and the raspberry was my favourite. No pictures because it was really dark by then and slightly melty fruit doesn't look good after dusk!

Pyramid Bar was another easy but western leaning place to get a vegan meal. Pizza without cheese again as their pasta is made with egg, I preferred the pizza from La Luna because they had more plentiful toppings but we loved the side of chips we ordered (they reminded me of the ones from Voner in Berlin!) and were excited that they were happy to whip us up some garlic bread with olive oil rather than the usual butter.



It was SUPER garlicky, we rode home on the scooter we hired and with the visor of my helmet down I felt like I was in a delicious garlic bubble!

Chaba Cafe and Gallery is a veg friendly spot that we ended up visiting a couple of times after I was originally lured in by the "Vegetarian Food" sign outside!


When we went for lunch earlier I had a big mixed salad with a slice of bread on the side (they make their own) and some fried potatoes with tomatoes and onion. Nick had fried potatoes too as well as some toast with peanut butter.


The salad was epic, I'm not usually a huge salad person but this was so fresh and delicious and totally different to anything else we'd eaten since we arrived. It came with lettuce, shredded red cabbage, grated carrot, cucumber and two types of tomato and I added olives and went with the olive oil mustard balsamic dressing which was perfect. Sadly I think the potatoes were cooked in paprika or maybe even a really mild chilli oil which I can't eat so as soon as I realised I handed them over to Nick. Sadness. They were delicious! I had a little nibble of Nick's PB Toast to make up for it which was really great. I totally miss toast already and I think we'll probably head there for breakfast tomorrow before we leave the island.

Chaba also sell raw energy + protein bars which are actually made on the island and you can grab them to go from the fridge in the little shop onsite.


Unsurprisingly I much preferred the date, cacao, almond and cinnamon to the broccoli, quinoa and chia seed one - I frankly don't know what I was thinking when I picked it! Too healthy for me I think.  Speaking of healthy I've been eating SO MUCH fruit since we got here. I'm in love with mangoes. They taste a million times better here than they do in the UK (duh!) and there's a fruit stall opposite 7/11 where we've been stocking up on bananas, oranges and the aforementioned mangoes daily. I'm yet to be convinced about starfruit though and I feel pretty meh about dragon fruit - it's so pretty but there's something about it that I'm not quite feeling yet.


I'll be back soon with a review of our guesthouse, Hill House, and the vegan food they've been making us as well as some fun pictures from our kayaking excursion.

35 comments:

  1. Wow! So exciting and the beach looks beautiful. Pizza without cheese is a life saver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it all looks so amazing! I'm very jealous :P My mum used to live in India and she tells stories about how delicious the fresh mangoes are over there - I can't imagine how great all that fruit must taste to our poor British taste buds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Emma, it tastes SO good! Get yourself over here ASAP!

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited to follow your adventures! I'm about to go for a three month long trip to Californa and Arizona in a couple of weeks and am very excited. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that is exciting, I loved the parts of California I went to last year but I haven't been to Arizona yet. Have a great time!

      Delete
  4. So exciting!! I love hearing about your adventures, and this one is sure to be epic. You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cadry! I'm having a wonderful time so far!

      Delete
  5. That's so inspiring! I would love to travel like this someday. Can't wait to see future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, I hope my future posts will inspire you too :)

      Delete
  6. good luck on your travels. have lots of rad adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already saw the pictures you posted on Instagram and the food looks so good! I am very happy to hear you are having such a great time. I also like your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, so pleased your travels have started and look forward to reading all about them :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay indeed! I'm pretty excited to be on the road!

      Delete
  9. watch out for those bushes! have fun, happy cow should be sponsoring your travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. [ Smiles ] Nice country and nice food too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you ate the island out of those vegan meals. LOL Are they getting more in before you leave?
    I am also a bit meh on dragon fruit and star fruit. So pretty! Such a nothing taste. But so pretty!
    Looking forward to more of your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my God, I am soooooo looking forward to reading all about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you planning to visit Cambodia? We (husband and I) lived--and worked in the nonprofit aid and development sector--there for 7 years, in the recent past. I can give travel tips and vegan recommendations. Cambodia jia laor nah! (Cambodia is great!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning to visit Cambodia, I think I'll be getting there early April(ish!). How cool that you lived there. I would absolutely love some recommendations, drop me an e-mail!

      Delete
  15. I am laughing so hard that you ate the Island out of vegan meals. Ahahaha, brilliant!

    So pleased to see you're having so much fun. I love that I can follow this adventure you're having.

    Stay safe and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know right! We're ridiculous. The 7/11 near where we are now don't seem to have any Jay meals at all which is a little sad but we're right by a French bakery and a stall selling amazing fruit so I'm not feeling particularly hard done by!

      Delete
  16. I'm absolutely in awe of your epic adventures- and eats! I'm still in the midst of my own travels but you're giving me wanderlust for someplace far more exotic. How I wish I could be there with you! I suppose the blog reports are the next best thing though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly how I feel when I read about your adventures Hannah! Hawaii has been on my must visit list for so long and I can't wait to get there one day.

      Delete
  17. I love Thailand! I've spent quite some time there myself but never visited Koh Yao Noi, which is a shame reading about your adventures, another visit on the horizon perhaps. Dragon Fruit are fabulous I can't believe you're not feeling the love yet :o) Persevere they'll grow on you! Have fun :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad I found this blog post! I just got to Koh Yao Noi and was researching vegan eats and stumbled across this. I feel like such a dummy, I've been in Thailand for a month and had no idea 7-11 sold vegan frozen meals! It sounds like you just left here a couple days ago, so I'm sure the island is probably out of them still, but good to know for the future. It sounds like there are plenty of restaurant options to keep me full!

    FYI, if you end up in Chiang Mai YOU MUST eat at Morning Glory. I ate there four times while in Chiang Mai and then took a cooking class there and learned how to make all the delicious vegan thai food I'd been eating! Totally worth the 1,200 baht (especially because you eat all day and get to take the leftovers!) I definitely have other recommendations in northern Thailand if you're interested (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm super glad you found this post too Jenni! I hope it's helped you find some great vegan eats. I left the island around a month ago so you never know, the vegan meals may be back in stock. I'm actually in Chiang Mai right now and I'm hoping to be able to make it to Morning Glory. I already have a cooking class booked with May Kaidee which I'm super excited about. I'm always happy to hear recommendations for anywhere and everywhere but I'm leaving for Laos pretty soon so I might not get around to them on this trip, definitely drop me an e-mail though because I know I'll be coming back to Northern Thailand in the not too distant future.

      Delete

Talk to me!