Saturday 22 October 2011

The Cowley Club.

Yesterday it got to lunchtime & I realised that I hadn't really got any food in the house. This was actually awesome news as it meant that I'd managed to eat all of the leftovers and I could go out for lunch!

I decided that because it's MoFo I should try somewhere new so I headed to The Cowley Club. I helped cook a Sunday roast there last week to raise money for Sea Shepherd but aside from that I'd never eaten there before.

The Cowley Club is a vegan worker owned co-operative social centre. During the day it houses a cafe & bookshop and in the evenings it's run as a members bar. When I popped in there yesterday there were four lunch options; two mains, a wrap & the soup of the day.

I went for the Sausage Mash Kale & Gravy which only cost £3. The wraps were £2.30 and soup with bread is only £1.80!

This was a huge plate of food especially considering the price. As you can see there were a tonne of smashed skin on potatoes, two sausages, a decent sized side of kale and plenty of lovely onion gravy. I'd planned to get a slice of cake for £1 but I was far too stuffed, if I'd had my own container I'd have gotten some to take away. This was delicious hearty fare & I can't wait to go back for more.

The Cowley Club which is open on Wednesday, Thursday & Friday from 12-6 and serves food from 12 - 3:30 is the perfect place to sit & read a book whilst eating cheap but delicious vegan food. I love their ethos and the fact that they do things like their Migrant English Project where they teach refugees, migrants and asylum-seekers English for free and give them a free lunch. What a great project!

12 comments:

  1. kale! the sausages look really good too.
    and yes, what a cool project it is. thank goodness for people who come up with such ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social centres are great. I really miss The Basement in Manchester which closed after a fire a few years ago, especially since I now work on the same street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. £3 is insane for that much food! Awesome! Also, I love that you call them "smashed skin on" potatoes. It sounds so violent and not vegan, but is indeed wonderfully vegan.

    I can't wait to return to Brighton again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My GOD!! That is AWESOME!!! Such good food for such little money.
    Happy days
    <:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place sounds awesome! What a generous portion size. I live in Hertfordshire and visit Brighton now and again so I'd love to try this place out. Thank you for such an interesting and inspiring blog.xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. for serious, Jojo?!?! that's some cheap 'n awesome grub. hell yeah for the Cowley Club. huzzah! the sausage mash kale & gravy looks absolutely delicious and skin on potatoes are the best! mmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got so many places I deffo want to try! (plus you have the beach and the sun....)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really should move to Brighton and then I could visit all these places too, it seems you're surrounded by amazing vegan options!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really should eat gravy on more than just special occasions! That sounds so tasty, and it sounds like the restaurant is doing some really great things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you've never been before! When I worked on London Road I'd go there for my lunch all the time. Shame there's nothing like it in Manchester. Also, you forgot to mention that it's totally volunteer-run!

    Big kudos to you for writing it up though, it needs more positive publicity and regular visitors to keep going - it's been struggling a bit in recent times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg I want to eat that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like such a cool place! Hooray for delicious, cheap vegan food.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!