Wednesday 5 October 2011

Cookbook Challenge Day III

After all of yesterdays sweet treats I was happy that the generator threw some savoury stuff at me today. First out of the hat was 500 Vegan Recipes & the page, 354, Beer Rolls. I've made some really delicious things from 500 Vegan Recipes before, the Seitan en Croute and the Caramelised Onion Tart with a Sweet Potato & Sage Crust really stick in my mind, so I had high hopes for the rolls.

I've never really made bread before today, I've made bagels & pizza dough but never actual bread, so I knew this would be a challenge. First off I had to seek some help from my American BFF to find out what the UK equivalent to sucant was (it's rapadura whole cane sugar btw) & then I had to work out what kind of beer to use. I went for Budweiser after checking my VeganXpress App in the supermarket because it was the only vegan American beer I could see! Whilst reading through the recipe I was a little surprised by how long baking bread was going to take but also by how simple it was, sure it takes a while but during all of the waiting I went to the gym, hung up the laundry, cleaned the kitchen & watched some Jersey Shore so it's the kind of cooking I can get down with!

To start I mixed together the dry ingredients, and then the wet - the wet ingredients included beer, hence the name, but also water that had to be 38 Celcius. That was quite a challenge as I kept getting distracted & letting the water drop in temperature. Next up was trying to find somewhere warm for the bread to rise, our house is currently a little chilly because our radiators aren't working but I solved the problem by taking the dough into the bathroom with me whilst I showered & leaving it there to let the steam do it's thing once I was done!

I was so excited that these turned out so well, look, they're like real bread!!


These rolls are really delicious, I'm eating my third right now & I made the first into a sausage sandwich...

...which was of course delicious!

The only bad thing about these rolls coming up is that bread was part of my 'New Foods Friday Challenge' for MoFo & now it'll feel like cheating so I need to come up with something else to go alongside the Paella, Pierogis & Tamales I'll be making. Any ideas?

Surprisingly the second name out of the hat was 500 Vegan Recipes. I guess I shook the hat too well... or not well enough! The generator picked me page 164 the Leek, Bean & Rice Medley. I like rice, beans & leeks so it definitely looked promising.


The recipe was really easy to follow and whilst it needed two pans you were't really using them at the same time so it's definitely an easy weeknight dish. The rice, both wild & brown, takes a while to cook so as long as you throw it in the pan when you get home you can still have dinner on the table in around an hour. I'm so glad this recipe popped up, it's full of gorgeous flavours & I'd never have thought to put pecans in a hot rice dish myself.

The more I cook from 500 Vegan Recipes the more I love it & I'm hoping it comes out of the hat again before the end of the month.

Now I was meant to make a third recipe today, the Quinoa, Tofu & Kale with Walnut Pesto from Color Me Vegan. I'm not particularly hungry after all of that bread and rice and beans though so I'm going to save it for tomorrow & spend the rest of the evening reading MoFo blogs rather than cooking.

26 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I love this theme. I don't cook out of my cookbooks nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been too scared of making bread. I had a breadmaker once and it always came out a bit...yeasty!

    I think you've inspired me to have another go, from scratch with no breadmaker this time. I've also got a chilly house, but showering with bread is a great plan to warm it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love 500VR so I'm glad to read some reviews. The bread looks beautiful!
    Hope you enjoy your MoFo reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really haven't used that book enough. Man I love beer bread, talk about the perfect pair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those beer rolls look awesome, but ever since earlier today when I saw another blog where the blogger found a bottle of BANANA BREAD BEER and proceeded to make cupcakes out of it, I can't help but think "Banana bread beer rolls. Banana bread beer rolls. Gaaah."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both the rolls and the leek, bean and rice medley look good. I've never thought about making rolls for sandwiches before. Though that might have something to do with having friends that own a bakery. I agree with mollyjade, the random recipe theme is great! I might try that some day when I have more time. Three recipes per day is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of beer bread! Hmm for the Friday challenge how about something traditionally English like a Cornish pasty or scones?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want that sausage sandwich right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this theme too! I have Color Me Vegan, and I haven't tried the recipe you mentioned. Now, I think I will. AND, I think I'll also pick up the 500 Vegan Recipes book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your rolls look great but what kind of sausage is that? It looks awesome! Now I want a sausage sandwich...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bread scares me. I feel like I'll just kill it. Maybe I'll give it a try - this looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. aw, 500 VR. I'm glad you liked what you made from it today, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bean and rice medley sounds delicious! And like mollyjade said, this is a great theme! xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice work JoJo! I have 500 vegan recipes, but haven't cooked from it. After this month, Imma gonna get on that. Right now I need to work through all these zines!

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the pretty beer rolls! I suck at making bread.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done, your bread rolls look awesome! And I love the idea of pecans in that rice dish, maybe I need to buy 500 Vegan Recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tea & Sympatico, Cornish Pasties or Scones are a good idea. I've been considering Cinnamon Rolls too after seeing lots of delicious pictures on blogs this morning.

    E the sausages are Linda Mc Cartney, the traditional ones not the sun dried tomato ones. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always feel like such a chef when I use two pans! Looks delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your theme! I tend not to cook from any of my cookbooks. I should really change that.

    BEER ROLLS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thevegandivision6 October 2011 at 20:09

    Wow, that bread does look good indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am loving your theme. I still struggle with yeast breads here and there. Your rolls look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The beer rolls sound interesting and look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gimme a sausage sandwiched between beer rolls!

    I'm making those rolls, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so, so sad that Budweiser was the only American one that was vegan. GROSS.

    Also, bread making is so wonderful. I love the smell, I love the process, I love eating it straight out of the pan when it burns my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've convinced me I must try that leek, bean, and rice medley!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!