Friday 21 October 2011

New Food Friday.

Okay, I have a confession. I think I'm obsessed with baking bread! New Food Friday is meant to be all about trying new foods but after realising that I've spent way more than our usual monthly food budget already & that I have a cupboard stuffed with food I decided to scrap the plan to make pierogis & make something more pantry friendly. I had all of the ingredients for the Spelt Loaf from 500 Vegan Recipes in the house and we were out of bread so this seemed perfect.

I picked a recipe that used spelt flour rather than wheat flour because I wanted it to be a bit more challenging & I guess I'm getting good at this bread thing because it turned out great...that is to say that it tasted great, I get the feeling that it isn't really meant to look this "rustic". I think I need to work on my loaf shaping skills!

On Wednesday I made a couple of mini pie crusts when I was making the quiche & today I decided to make broccoli cheese mini quiches for dinner to go with our bread. I used the base recipe from the You Won't Believe It's Vegan quiche and added the cheese from the Inside-Out Cheeseburger's and some broccoli sautéed with garlic.

These little quiches were perfect and both Nick & I love the bread, it's definitely going to be a challenge not to spend the rest of the evening snacking on the loaf!

15 comments:

  1. Oooh I can almost smell that bread Jojo - it looks amazing, I'm always so impressed with anyone who makes bread because it scares the beejaysus outta me. Looks like you got this down girl.
    <:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had quiche since becoming vegan - but I've made a vegan frittata which is similar. Did you use silken tofu? This looks so yummy! Perfect for Sunday brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the blog award Jojo. I've not made bread for years but your posts are making me want to have a go, nothing beats the smell of freshly baked bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bread looks deliciously dense and moist. I'm actually planning on making quiche today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bread looks great. I really want to start baking more bread. It's something I do rarely, if ever. The quiche looks great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy that quiche looks fab x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, would never have thought you'd never baked bread before this mofo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, fresh homemade bread is ultimate. I tend to go through bread-baking phases where I'll do it constantly, then I'll stop for a while. I think it's about time I get back into it again! I love spelt loaves, especially sourdough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think rustic bread looks good and yours even more so!

    Also, that mini quiche is calling to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That bread looks great! I've been wanting to get in the kitchen and make some bread. Maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please share some of your bread baking mojo!
    Do you hand knead or use a mixer?
    The mini quiche looks delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing! hooray for cleaning the pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those little quiches are to die for! Why is quiche the best??? I don't know that answer, I just know that I sure agree with that statement :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute - mini-quiche!

    I love baking bread as well but I try to limit it to special occasions because I just cannot stop eating it. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!