Tuesday 11 October 2011

Cookbook Challenge Day V

The recipe generator's cookie bias is continuing in full force this week! First outa the hat were the Orange Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Kelly Peloza's The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur. I was happy to see this book again so soon because the Jam Thumbprint cookies from the other day were great and, well, it meant that I got to eat cookies again!

These chocolate chunk cookies certainly weren't a disappointment . The chunks of chocolate make a change from chocolate chips & I actually really liked the orange flavour. These cookies reminded me of a Chocolate Orange, y'know that non-vegan ball of orange flavoured chocolate segments? They made me think of christmas because chocolate oranges were the gift of choice between my friends & I at school!

Next out of the hat was Veganomicon & the generator chose me page 109, Lemony Roasted Potatoes which I served with the next recipe outa the hat, the Firestorm Falaf-hell from Please Don't Feed The Bears.

The potatoes were amazing! I think I might've chopped them too large or something though because these took around 2 hours to cook rather than the 55 min's the recipe suggested! The potatoes actually went perfectly with the baked falaf-hell but only because these aren't really falafel, not as I know them anyway. They didn't contain any parsley, cumin or coriander and were more like a lemony chickpea burger. They were delicious but I think I'll stick to the baked falafel recipe in AFR next time I want something to stuff in my pita pocket!

That should have been the end of the challenge for today but as I have a tattoo appointment tomorrow I decided to make one of the recipes meant for tomorrow today. I know that I'll be too wiped to make three recipes, including TWO more cookie recipes tomorrow...seriously this recipe generator is biased, either that or I have too many baking books?! Anyway, as it came out first I baked the Black & Whites from Hannah Kaminsky's first cookbook My Sweet Vegan. These NYC inspired cookies are massive & iced with both white & chocolate icing, hence the name.

These soft cookies were fantastic, seriously, I think that they're what dreams are made of! They're perfect. I love My Sweet Vegan but I don't turn to it that often because the recipes do often use quite expensive ingredients (this one had margarine, a lot of icing sugar and sour cream) and the recipes can often be quite time consuming. That said everything I've ever made from this cookbook has been completely worth the time & cost, one of my favourite recipes ever is the Silken Chocolate Mousse Cake & I'll definitely be making these cookies again.

20 comments:

  1. Cookies!! everything looks delicious, but now I really want cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If those cookies taste like Chocolate Orange then I need some, stat!

    And I still am yet to make the lemony potatoes from VCon, I really should make them soon. And your black & white cookies look perfect!

    Have fun at your tattoo appointment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Hannah's books and recipes but haven't tried these cookies yet, they really look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the cookies look great, but those Black & Whites look truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. seems the lemony potatoes and falafel were meant to be together! mofo is makin magic :) nice work on those black and white cookies too - incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those lemony potatoes sound amazing! The black and whites are gorgeous and sound so yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah man! Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to get my hands on a copy of My Sweet Vegan. One of these days I'm just gonna have to take the plunge and order it.
    Seriously, is there any better combination then orange and chocolate? (well, other then peanut butter).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cookies look fantastic! The lemony roasted potatoes have been a regular side for quite some time at my house as my boys adore them. I also find that they take a bit longer to cook than the recipe states.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good old generator, throwing out more cookies! I wish one of the vegan chocolate companies would do a chocolate orange, bet it would be a best seller!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love the combo of chocolate and orange in cookies. I don't think there's anything better than that, and those cookies look super sexy too. must make.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! You are making me think I should invest in some more dessert books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are a firestorm! all this cooking would wipe me out. glad to see you playing with Please Don't Feed the Bears. I made something yummy from it just yesterday!

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so stealing your random book and page idea for planning one of my weekly meals! Such an awesome way to get through some forgotten cookbooks!!! The cookies look totally delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! Those cookies look amazing! My mouth is watering as I look at the pictures. Nice job! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The coookies seem so yummie! The potatoes look great as well, can't believe they took two hours to cook! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those cookies sound great! I always used to get a chocolate orange in my stocking at christmas, along with some clementines.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! It's definitely cool enough to turn the oven back on here. I'm doing a cookie swap in December with my vegan baking swap group, I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, the lemony roasted potatoes are one of my all-time favourites. I have them permanently bookmarked.
    Those cookies look awesome! I need to bake more! Right now my blog looks very sad considering I have such a sweet tooth...

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!