Saturday 29 October 2011

Halloweeeeen!

Hello, my name's Jojo & I used to be a goth. Seriously, for a long time I would only wear black, my hair was purple & my room in my shared house looked like it was decorated for halloween all year round. Some of the gothyness wore off but my love for Halloween (and My Ruin!) has stuck around. I remember seeing this haunted halloween house on Mo's blog a couple of years ago & I remember thinking that it was the awesomest Halloween thing ever! I've got a few friends coming over later to listen to creepy music & eat spooky food so I thought I'd give it a try...



As you can see it's more of a ruined gingerbread house. Y'see I cheated & used an IKEA gingerbread house that I bought last Christmas but never got the chance to make. Unfortunately every single piece was broken when I opened the box. I tried to fuse some of them back together but it wasn't really working so I decided a Spooky Ruined Mansion was the way to go! My gravestones are Speculoos biscuits and the house is sitting on a chocolate cake base with bourbon biscuit frosting & extra crumbled bourbon biscuit dirt. There are spooky snakes, a Sour Patch Kid ghost and I threw a giant plastic rat in there for good measure!

Next on the menu for tonight, Green Gunge Cupcakes.

These are just green dyed vanilla cupcakes filled and topped with green vanilla frosting. I tested them last night & the gunge does indeed squirt out when you bite into them - awesome!

There are sugar cookies too. I used a recipe that I found on the PPK years ago, I remember them being called No Whey's Sugar Cookies but I can't find a link anywhere. I did black cats & pumpkins.


Last night after our tamale feast Nick & I carved some pumpkins. We did one proper one & cut the top and scooped the insides of two others so tonights guests can have some pumpkin carving fun too.

There were tonnes of pumpkin seeds so I washed & dried them and then coated them in olive oil, smoked paprika and chilli powder. I roasted them at gas mark two for 50 minutes turning them halfway through.

Last but not least I made Rat & Eyeball Jelly!

The eyeballs are peeled grapes & the rats are just plastic. There are rats inside the jelly too but you can't really see them in the picture.

The only thing left to make are some mummy dogs, I'm going to wrap some hotdogs in pastry & use little pieces of black olives for the eyes. You'll have to wait until Monday for those pictures though because I have some halloween crosswords & word searches to mount on card, apple bobbing to set up, punch to make, a costume to finish and an anniversary drinks party to go to before tonights gathering!

21 comments:

  1. I think it looks lots more creepy as ruins anyway! Sounds like an amazing night, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best jack o lantern I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your gingerbread house, scary ruins are far more authentic.
    Your party's gonna be so fuch fun, how awesome is that eyeball jelly! I LOVE it.
    <:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the scary ruins are perfect, Jojo - i'm with Jeni, they're much more authentic! the eyeball jelly is too awesome & i like the little rats, too. your sugar cookies are adorable and how nice of you guys to scoop out the insides for other pumpkins for people to carve out. what a great idea! mummy dogs sound terrific - what a spooky and fun spread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The haunted house is awesome! Gingerbread houses for every season!
    Can I be invited to the party? The food looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the haunted house. Well I love everything. I'm with you Halloween is so much fun. Because of work I've slacked on my halloween fun but hope next year will offer lots of time.

    The rats climbing around the eyeball jelly is great. Hope you have a wonderful Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is ALL adorable! Those green cupcakes are especially lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!
    Have a great night!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been in the Halloween spirit this year, but you have made me wish I was! So adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sugar cookie recipe is the best. I love the spooky gingerbread mansion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ~Wow! It all looks brilliant. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything you made, jojo! Have a great time tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks amazing - I am especially a fan of those cupcakes :D I hope you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it. Particularly the enormous bat in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post, everything looks great! I really wanted to try carving a pumpkin this year but it's already Oct 31 here and I didn't get around to it :( Yours looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that all looks so cool - love your inventive way with a broken house - looks very haunted with the roof caved in - and the pumpkin looks fantastic too - lucky friends to have the diy carving pumpkins set up for them

    ReplyDelete
  17. So creative. We don't do halloween here really, but I do like any reason for a themed food event!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all of your Halloween food, I wish I had checked out your blog before my party. What did you end up dressing up as?
    We just finished carving our pumpkins last night, yours looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The haunted house looks perfect, love that it's in ruins - much more like Halloween! Love the green gunge cupcakes too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What did you use (in place of gelatin) to make the jello?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!