Sunday 23 October 2011

Football Food Sunday, Take 4!

Iiiiiiit's Football Food Sunday! It's an exciting one today because the game we're watching is actually being played in England! For the last two years we've been to Wembley Stadium to watch but we're trying to save some cash this year so we're on the sofa with our football food instead.

Last night I went to a girlie sleepover at a friends house in another city, there was a tonne of great food, a few glasses of wine, nail polish, terrible movies, and not much sleep. Because of that I knew that todays football food had to be quick & easy and tacos seemed like the obvious choice.

I decided to make the meaty part of the taco filling from TVP because we have a tonne in the pantry & it's loads cheaper than using store-bought veggie mince. I followed the Yellow Rose Recipes method of cooking & seasoning it and it only took about 10 minutes which was perfect given how tired & lazy I'm feeling today. Nick impulse purchased the crunchy taco shells on our last trip to a big supermarket and they just need warming in the oven for 4 minutes, again, perfect! I also served these with quick & easy guacamole (avocado, salt, pepper & lemon juice), shredded Vegusto Melty cheese, lettuce & tomato. Nick had sour cream on his because he doesn't like guac', lettuce or tomato...weird! These tacos didn't quite seem unhealthy enough for Football Food Sunday though so we drank some Cola too and then followed the meal with a popcorn chaser!

I'm sorry this has been a bit of a short one, I promise I'll be back on form next Sunday & I'll be here tomorrow with a new twist on the Cookbook Challenge.

15 comments:

  1. The taco seasoning from "Yellow Rose Recipes" is incredible. I was eating it from the bowl when I was assembling the tamale pie. So good that I will consider that recipe before buying pre-made soy crumbles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. I am having tacos for dinner. I am convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG tacos. How could you go wrong? Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can never go wrong with tacos.. yummm with all thsoe toppings!

    Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crunchy tacos, hell yes!! It's like a folded tostada!

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't 'cha just love how quick, easy, 'n tasty tacos can be?! what a great & tasty idea for football sundays, Jojo! i think this coming sunday dan and i will have to partake in some tacos of our own 'cause yours sound (and look) so fantastical. tvp is wicked cheap and a helluva lot less expensive than the pre-made stuff. i like it too because you can switch up the flavors. you can make yourself taco "meat" or "tuna" flakes or "chicken bits" - so many options. w00t! your girlie night sounded pretty sweeeet - wine, good company, nail polish and terrible movies are the best!

    p.s. - just so ya know, i totally had beans 'n toast this morning. again. so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love tacos. I don't eat them nearly enough. Although, I agree with Nick about the guac--sorry!

    I'm really trying to get over it, though. I'm working small amounts of avocado into things. I feel like I'll reach some other level of veganism when if I can finally like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tacos are one of my go to quick meals too, they look great, Jojo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! I haven't had a crunchy taco in so long.... add that to the shopping list now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been craving tacos something fierce lately! Your tacos look awesome; I wonder if one can get that particular vegan cheese in America?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had tacos in hard shells for so long!
    Looing forward to the new twist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh. Why is my 'k' button so sticky? Must make sure to press it hard and check before pressing post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes sportsy food makes me wish I liked sports just so I could have reasons to make or be around such food more often. This is one of those times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Yellow Rose Recipes but haven't done that one yet. I need me some tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to try that recipe in YRR, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting enough tacos in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!