Tuesday 18 October 2011

Cookbook Challenge Day VII

The first cookbook that came out of the hat today was The Best Veggie Burgers On The Planet & the recipe, the Inside-Out Cheeseburger Seitanic Stuffer. This is a recipe I've had my eye on since buying the book so I was really excited to have it pop up in the challenge. Now you (well, I) can't really have a burger without a bun so I decided to cheat for recipe two & choose a bun recipe myself. It had to be something new though so I turned to Vegan Diner, the newest addition to my cookbook collection, and picked the recipe for Old-Fashioned Hamburger Buns.

I was a little suspicious of the bun recipe as it didn't include any warm water but of course it was fine. These were great & I'm enjoying practicing baking bread. Tomorrow, I'm going to try my hand at pitta bread!

The Inside-Out Cheeseburgers require a little bit of forward planning, they take an hour to cook but you also need to make the cheese filling which has to set in the fridge for an hour before being used. That said they were pretty simple to make even after I managed to throw in the whole ammount of vegetable stock when I was trying to halve the recipe...oh well, now we have leftovers! I served them on the Old Fashioned Hamburger Buns with mayonnaise & vegi bacon. I realised as I was taking the picture that it would've been prettier with some lettuce & tomato but sadly there was none in the house!

The burgers were both crazy delicious and massive. I thought they were even better than the Bacon Cheeseburgers I made recently for Football Food Sunday. The cheese on the inside was perfectly melty & I loved the seitan patty. I also love how versatile these burgers are, as Joni says in the book she's included her four favourite stuffing recipes but really you could stuff them with anything. I have plans to change the flavourings of the seitan a little and bread these to make a vegan chicken kiev.

My third recipe of the day was from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. I was meant to make these Roasted Almond Cookies with Fleur de Sel last week but I got tattooed instead so I made them today. I'll apologise in advance for the terrible picture, it was dark in my house by about 3pm today & apparently no amount of photoshopping's going to fix this shot!

These were easy to make even though I realised at the last minute that I needed to roast my almonds...clue's in the name there Jojo! This certainly isn't a criticism but the cookies didn't turn out how I'd expected, I hadn't noticed that there were oats in the recipe until the last minute & for some reason I'd assumed they'd be a crispy cookie rather than a soft one. I also have to admit that I was suspicious about topping a cookie with salt but as usual Isa & Terry weren't wrong, these are really delicious! I'm about to go & eat a 5th!

19 comments:

  1. that all sounds yummy and I'm intriuged by the cookies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your mofoing, Jojo!!! I keep remembering to check back on the blog -every day- just to see what you've made, loving the cookbook challenges and just awesome food. <3 Vegan chicken kiev sounds like a killer idea, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The burger looks great and I am also intrigued about the idea of a vegan chicken kiev! Good luck with your pita bread baking, I have made pita more than any other bread this year as it turns out so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. T & S the cookies were great, you should definitely give them a go.

    peanuttyprincess, thank you! I love that you keep checking back!

    Mel, thanks for the good luck vibes, I think I might need it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is timely, the two other cookbooks I have out from the library are the burgers and cookies ones! Although am a bit more restricted with what I can make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look awesome! I'd love to see the tat also! :)
    I've passed on the Liebster award to you! I love all that you stand for. You can pick it up at http://inhergrace.wordpress.com/
    Thank you for your friendship. It means so much to me.
    Blessings & love,
    Savannah xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sad there was no photo of your happy homemade bread face in this post! ;)
    Those burgers look amazing. I don't have this book yet, but it is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    I love reading your blog and seeing the photos you post. You are certainly getting into the bread making now!
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, there's salt on the cookies? I've become hooked on eating somewhat salty cookies, so thanks for the heads-up on that one. it's time I put my VCIYCJ to good use, by golly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, we have to cook from the Best Burgers cookbook next week for the PPK cookbook challenge, I can't wait because your burger looks so appetising!

    As do those cookies, I haven't made them but I'll try to remember to roast the almonds ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. chicken kiev? you gotta do it!

    the burgers sound great, I really need to get some VWG.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those burgers look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cookies sound lovely. Especially the salted part. Salty sweet is my real favourite flavour. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, I love the salty and sweet combination.
    I just gotta say that I'm seriously impressed with you making 3 recipes a day! I've been falling behind with just making one, lol. Awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i like the orangey glow the roasted almond cookies have, Jojo! they're so appropriate for vegan MoFo! w00t! that's one crazy delicious burger and i cannot wait to see your pita bread!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That burger sounds pretty much amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for veggie burgers! And home-made buns? You are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. dude. those burgers are MASSIVE! and stuffed with cheeze??? That's crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!