Tuesday 30 October 2012

Vegan MoFo Day 30 - When themes go outa the window!

As you might've noticed my theme's have totally gone outa the window in the last week or so. I'm quickly realising that running a bakery from a pretty tiny kitchen and managing to get any other cooking done is really hard! I'm using all of my surfaces, oven, bowls, measuring cups and spoons to bake cupcakes meaning that there's nothing left to cook with!

I'm getting a little better at it now though, I had a mini freakout last week when I felt dizzy and sick and realised that all I'd eaten all day was frosting, Clif bars and a yoghurt. Yuch. After Nick brought me some takeout I calmed down & realised that I just needed to plan a little better. Today I made myself food before starting to bake. Yeah, I'm a genius!

I wanted something simple and what's easier to throw together than a bowl. Isa Chandra Moskowitz is the master of The Bowl so I turned to The PPK for ideas. This Roasty Soba Bowl with Miso Tahini jumped out at me and I even had all of the ingredients in the house... well, kinda!


I used chickpeas instead of lentils, green tea soba noodles instead of regular and I made the roasted cauliflower recipe from Appetite For Reduction instead of the slightly simpler version in this recipe. I looooved this bowl. I was really unsure about the dill, I bought it to try to make myself like dill and it totally worked - it's a miracle! Everything about this bowl was awesome, I love noodles, the miso tahini sauce was amazingly creamy and there are even leftovers for tomorrow. Perfect!

12 comments:

  1. I felt stressed out for you just reading your description of all the baking! And I know how it feels to be running on just icing, ick!

    Good on you for making yourself a delish bowl of nosh first, looks like baking-fuel to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazingly delicious. I'm gonna have to try that. I think I just need cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this bowl. It's one of my favorites. I constantly find myself roasting cauliflower just to have an excuse to make this.

    Sounds like the baking is really taking off. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating frosting all day sounds great in theory - just not great fuel for getting anything done apart from a nasty case of the sugar shakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful bowl of food! it looks so delicious (especially with chickpeas!) but still pretty simple. I'm bookmarking the recipe, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bowl looks really good! I'm also a recent convert to dill, I had a bad memory of it from a particular recipe but when I eventually tried it again in something different I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great recipe. I made it quite a while back. I love cauliflower, but roasted, it's even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, I meant to add I'm also not a lover of dill. Maybe something like this will convert me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds so stressful! I wish I could give you a hand, at least washing the dishes as you use them. I hope you have more free time now that MoFo is over. Take care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve been there before, start baking and you don’t want to make anything to eat since it results in dirty dishes and more space being taken up, so instead lots of sugar and energy bars are consumed. I think my baking meal of choice was a pb and j since I only had to dirty a knife.
    That bowl looks fantastic! I adore things covered in tahini.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bowl looks lovely. I ate a lot of bowls last time I went to North America. I really want to start making those kind of meals at home.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!