Friday 12 October 2012

Pie-Day Friday Part Deux

It's Friday which means one thing during MoFo, Pie! Today I chose the Little Lemon Mousse Pies from Vegan Pie In the Sky and wowzers, I am seriously impressed!

When I was picking this weeks pie I definitely felt a little intimidated by this recipe, the picture in the book's so pretty & I wasn't entirely confident that I could make something look that good! I decided to go for it anyway though and I'm glad I did. This recipe has three parts to it, the Gingersnap Crust, a filling, and a topping. I actually started prepping for the recipe last night, the cashews needed to soak for a while & I knew that it'd be too dark for photographs if I started in the morning! 

I decided to half this recipe both to save money on ingredients (I can't spend as much money on food as I did last MoFo without making a nasty dent in my Vida Vegan Con savings) and I also didn't own any mini springform pans, buying two was obviously half the price of four. That's a saving right there! Whilst the recipe does say that you can make these in a 9" springform pan for me part of the appeal was that they're cute! I love little (and not so little!) individual desserts and I decided that if the recipe turned out well I could justify buying the other two pans!

The gingersnap crust was a snap to put together & it pressed into the springform pans easily. Last Friday I pressed the biscuit base into my pie tin using my fingers but today I decided to find something circular & a similar diameter to my springforms, I thought that this might make the crust firmer & much less crumbly upon slicing - I was right & I'll definitely be using that technique again.

After baking the crust for 10 minutes it was time to whip up the filling. This creamy coconut mousse was easy to put together and it looked amazing as soon as it hit the tins. 


If you look closely you can even see perfect moussey air bubbles. The next step required a lot of patience as it needed to cool for FOUR hours. Bloody hell! Whilst I waited I tidied the ridiculous amount of mess I made... 


...went to a spin class (the instructor played metal and power ballads!), picked the Vegan MoFo Vegusto competition winner and tried and failed to fix my kitchen light. Yep, my kitchen light decided to break during MoFo - nice comedy timing kitchen light, I'm gonna enjoy trying to take pictures only using the light from a single lamp!

The topping for the pie was just as easy to make as the mousse filling and after another hour chilling in the fridge these were ready to pop outa the tins!

I actually took a few pictures whilst they were still sitting on the base of the springform pan; I've never gotten anything with a biscuit base out of its casing without kinda ruining it before but as you can see these came out perfectly. It even looks like the one in the book!


As well as looking totally perfect this pie tastes amazing. The coconut flavour from the beautifully light mousse filling is really subtle, it doesn't overpower the lemon at all, and the gingersnap crust compliments the lemon flavoured pie beautifully.

Todays Pie-day Friday has been an unmitigated success! I don't think I've ever made such a beautifully delicate, fancy looking dessert before and next time I have a dinner party this'll definitely be on the table! 

25 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous pie. Well done, I'm impressed and jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! I really need to use that book more.

    If it makes you feel any better, I finally got my blown up kitchen light replaced yesterday, and the other light went out tonight! It was almost enough to make me not bother cooking. At least this one didn't blow up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ignition on my oven just broke! What is wrong with our kitchens?!

      Delete
  3. holy moly that looks like the most scrumptious thing ever! It's so beautiful and perfect! I love gingersnaps, and i love lemon and I love coconut, so I'm pretty sure I'd love these guys. I actually still haven't made anything from Pie in the Sky...

    ReplyDelete
  4. God damn do I love pie, especially lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe is my hands-down favourite from the book! I love it so much and I make it whenever I want to impress someone.

    I haven't started saving for Vida Vegan yet- eek! Too many people are being rude and having birthdays that require me to spend money around this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After last Friday, I've been thinking I might need Vegan Pie in the Sky...now I'm convinced. That looks delicious and I can't wait to see what you'll make next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I don't have any mini springforms either. I keep adding them to my wish list and pushing them back to buy other silly things like cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing that since I got the book! I'm definitely going to buy two more so that I can make the full recipe next time.

      Delete
  8. They look incredible, nice job! I love lemon based desserts and these ones would be very impressive for a dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great! My husband would love that pie, he loves lemon desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to eat that now! And thanks for the kitchen picture, makes me feel better about the state mines been in:) I've got a mad week next week so have been working ahead for the week of sweets which has been very messy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to get the pie book, like NOW!

    This pie looks beautiful, Jojo, I love that it's coconutty and lemony. And oh I know how it feels to make such a mess in the kitchen, all that washing up to do *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks awesome, I will def make this for my boyfriend, he loves lemon desserts! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks DELICIOUS!!! high five!

    ReplyDelete
  14. IMPRESSIVE! That looks so good. Great job! I haven't made any pies since becoming vegan.... I have this cookbook and keep looking at it. I'm going to have to break this cookbook in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's Pie Day Pie Day gonna eat pie on Pie Day (my remake of that youtube "friday" song)

    also, that looks amazing and I want it

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a beautiful pie! And I love your rainbow whisk!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pies look so pretty! I've looked at that recipe a few times and I definitely want to try it as well. It looks so fancy!
    I've also been making half batches of recipes this MoFo - it's a great way to be able to try more different things!
    I love the Friday Pie-Day idea, by the way. I should do that next year (or maybe just every week from now on).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your kitchen is CUTE! I love those little lemon pies - they always impress people!! Yours turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so have to make that now! Amazingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. Just wow. You did SUCH a nice job. And I love the picture you shared of your kitchen! I'm such a nerd for learning about others' cooking spots. Yours is so cozy!

    So does this mean you're coming all the way over for Vida Vegan Con?! And I complain about the trip from Atlanta, GA... oy. I still haven't bought my ticket... I keep saying I will, but oh, it's so expensive, and the airfare - ouch! But I neednt complain to you about it... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does! I've been wanting to visit Portland for years and this is the perfect excuse!

      Delete

Talk to me!