Wednesday 10 October 2012

What I Ate Wednesday

Surprisingly I've found today's supposedly easy What I Ate Wednesday theme harder than yesterday's Cookbook Challenge. Less stressful? Sure! But strangely I've quickly gotten used to having what I'm eating planned out or at least randomly chosen for me. 

I started the day with a classic Jojo breakfast, baked beans on toast. Wholewheat's my bread of choice for this meal & I enjoy a co-op own brand organic bean.


After reading a lot of MoFo blog posts and going for a run along the seafront I came back to my kitchen sweaty and starving! The quickest thing I could put together was more toast, I chose Warburton's Sandwich Thins this time around, accompanied by a blob of hummus. Yum!


I followed this with an Alpro Peach yoghurt. These are my new favourite yoghurts, the cherry ones are great too but they seem to have disappeared from my local store.


After showering I snacked on one of these delicious treats. These Nature's Path bars are yet another thing I brought back from America. I love love love these coconutty, chocolatey granola bars.


For lunch I wanted something quick & easy and my go to for quick & easy recently has been this Vegan Omelette For One from the blog Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. I make this as written except I skip the tahini; for no other reason than that the first time I made it I'd run out and I loved it anyway so I saw no need to mess with something I already loved. The ingredients are simple and they whizz up super fast in my mini blender. This is one of my favourite gadgets, I wouldn't ever even entertain the idea of getting rid of it!


After blending you just pour your ingredients into your non-stick pan and cover it with whatever filling you desire - in this case some leftover Smoky Soy Curls from Football Food Sunday.


In the time it took to cook I threw together a quick salad of green leaves, tomatoes and grapes with a drizzle of hemp oil.


I love how you can just fill an omelette with whatever leftovers you have lying around and they always come out great!

When dinner time rolled around I'd been reading about desserts all day and I wanted something sweet. Pancakes for dinner seemed like an awesome idea! It wasn't hard to choose which pancakes to make, I wanted something fruity and seasonal so Isa's Apple Pie Pancakes were the clear choice. If you read my MoFoing last year you might remember this post? I got so overexcited when Isa posted the recipe for these that even though we were about to head to bed I whipped up a quick half batch for Nick & I to enjoy!


Tonight there was none of this portion control nonsense happening though, oh no, these are dinner pancakes and the only correct way to eat a dinner pancake is to have two portions!


These are so amazing, I kinda want to make a triple batch of the apple, maple, cinnamon topping to just slather on everything forever... or, y'know, for the 24 hours it would probably take me to scoff the lot!

23 comments:

  1. I love how you basically ate breakfast for every meal! That is my kind of day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty breakfast-y day! I love it! I still haven't tried a vegan omelet, though I'm quite tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I'm going to try this omelette tomorrow! I've been having LOADS of scrambled tofu over crumpets recently as it's my favourite new dinner/lunch/breakfast :) I think it might be time for an omelette and beans dinner tomorrow though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, it's super easy & delicious!

      Delete
  4. wow. What a yummy day you've had! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, pancakes for dinner! That's a big deal in my home -- we love breakfast for dinner, but especially pancakes! How far do you run? I only do a few miles, but I come back starving and freezing (even in warm weather), too. I keep meaning to have steel-cut oats all warmed up and waiting for me, but I never remember to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your day has totally paid out - what an omelette!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those yoghurts! We had them on our flights into and out of Europe and I ate mine, then Chad's, then asked for another. I wish we had them here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I am stealing your breakfast idea for the weekend. I bet F would have a ton of fun picking up all those beans and sticking them into her mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My comment got deleted...
    I just said it looked awesome and you use some awesome stuff! I'm pretty broke, so was just commenting on how must have a good job to afford all this. So lucky i love to try all these ideas but first need to afford the cookbooks then the ingredients! I also have a love of food but my job don't stretch so far :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I'm not seeing any deleted comments from Matt, I'm guessing my spam filter ate it! When I first went vegan I didn't have any cookbooks or a computer, I remember requesting cookbooks from the library a lot! Both recipes in todays post are available online (see links) and both theppk and fatfreevegankitchen are great free online recipe resources.

      Delete
  10. Yum, I would like to share your day of food, please!

    I love my mini whizz too, they are so handy and I love the look of that omlette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bsh Bash Bosh Brighton thinks this looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can't beat beans on toast for a simple, tasty meal. I'm gonna go and check out that omelet recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that omelette recipe, we tried it the other week. I was my first vegan omelette and I was so impressed with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Breakfast all day! Awesome! The omelette looks particularly tasty. I like your little cupcake in the background of the second picture. It looks like a little cupcake coin bank that I wanted to buy from Pier 1, but by the time I got around to taking a trip down there they were sold out :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. I found the cutest ceramic cherry cupcake somewhere last year but by the time I managed to convince myself to part with the cash it was gone too! Thankfully there are plenty more cupcakes in the sea!

      Delete
  15. I'll forgive you for the dirty beans on toast. But only cuz i loves ya!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmm, breakfast for dinner is the best! I wish we got those Alpro yogurts here, we get the cream but that's all I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that omelette looks delish! I've tried a different recipe and it didn't work at all, must give this one a try. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those Nature's Path bars! The peanut butter one's my fav, but I'll definitely be trying the chocolate coconut one now, too! Gorgeous pancakes, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a tasty day! Those omelettes look tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!