Monday 22 October 2012

More Cupcakes & the UK Vegan Food Swap.

My Monday theme kinda fell by the wayside today, I baked more cupcakes for WaiKikaMooKau this morning - Chocolate Peanut Butter and Speculoos Caramel.



Almost as soon as I'd finished shopping for more ingredients and washing up I got a text from the cafe to say that they'd sold out again! On a Monday! So, yeah, I kinda gave up on my theme and got baking again! I made twice as many this time and I'm really excited that this is going so well. I wish that I had a bigger kitchen so that I could co-ordinate baking and cooking for myself a little better, maybe I'll get the hang of it soon!

My UK Vegan Food Swap parcel turned up today, yay! It was full of so much lovely stuff and a really sweet note with explanations of all of the stuff in the package. I've been meaning to make some spring rolls with soy curls like these ones from Kittee's blog for a while now so I was super excited to find the wrappers in the package. On the right there are nori snacks, these little individually wrapped packets were the first thing I opened - I love nori and these are brilliant.



Also in the package were apple & strawberry fruit crisps, Moo Free chocolate drops, coconut flavoured Sesame Snaps and Seed & Bean lavender chocolate. I've never tried any of these things before and I'm super excited about them all.


Last but by no means least I pulled out a jar of Zest vegan pesto and some GranoVita Shiitake Pâté. I used to buy the Zest pesto all the time when I first went vegan but I haven't had it for ages and shiitake pâté is always a favourite of mine.


I love the UK Vegan Food Swap, I've never received a package I didn't love & as someone who loves both shopping and receiving post it's perfect. The swap is organised by To Happy Vegans & you can find out more information about it here.

16 comments:

  1. The swap is great! I love seeing options across the pond. I'm especially jealous of the pesto! It's almost always not vegan unless you make it yrself here and I am just toooo lazy to do that as often as I want pesto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speculoos Caramel Cupcakes - get in my mouf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! Maybe you should open your own vegan bakery at some point! Or a Food Truck Bakery! I'be been dreaming about having some sort of vegan food truck lately. *sigh*

    That's an awesome food swap loot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish food trucks were a thing here! It'd be awesome! I'm enjoying baking from home at the moment, it means that I can give the most money possible to the charities.

      Delete
  4. lots of great looking stuff there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not surprised those cupcakes sold out - if I saw them, I'd get a few to keep me going! Where did you get the Speculoos from? I've heard people speak in hushed tones of its wonderfulness, and really wanted to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked mine up in Belgium but it's finally available in Waitrose, yay!

      Delete
  6. Oh how funny - I literally just hit publish on a review of that lavender chocolate :D I bought it on our recent trip to the UK and hadn't seen it before then either. I love the idea of these food swaps and your parcel looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence! I'm going to try the chocolate later!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on selling out of the cupcakes, I'm not surprised as look so perfect! I always love reading about food swaps, they sounds like fun and it looks like you got some nice goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG those cupcakes! They look unreal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I lived there those Speculoos cupcakes would sell out even faster then what they did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great news about the cupcakes! I would love to try the Speculoos ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried one of these speculoos cupcakes - for £2.50 it was very small compared to other cupcakes I have bought costing the same price.

    Does money from the sale of these go to charity? If so they ought to display that on the sign on WKAMK, it may help justify the price.

    (I also tried a slice of the lemon drizzle cake which I much preferred to the cupcake, but I will try another flavour of yours when I'm next in there - maybe the speculoos flavour just isn't for me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, I'm sorry you didn't love the Speculoos cupcake. It's a favourite with most of my cupcake testers & nobody has ever suggested that they're too small before. Of course not everyone loves every flavour though & I'm a big fan of the lemon drizzle cake at WaiKikaMooKau too! As for the price, you'll have to trust me that with the cost of fair-trade ingredients, money to charity and the money the cafe needs to make & pay in VAT £2.50 is very reasonable - it's also worth noting that I don't set the prices in cafes - the cupcakes are slightly cheaper via my website but of course you have to order more!

      Delete

Talk to me!