Saturday 6 November 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 7 - Vienna

No, I haven't gone straight from Edinburgh to Vienna but I was there a couple of weeks ago visiting my friends Melanie, Carmen & Melisser.

I've written about Vienna eat's a couple of time's before here and here but on this trip I discovered (with the help of my lovely lady friends!) some new places.

First of all the ladies had been raving about the new sweet treat Hungarian Bumkuchen, or Chimney Cake, that you can find at Vienna's awesome outdoor market the Naschmarkt. We headed down there and there they were, dudes making doughy cylinders of awesomeness right in front of my eyes!

Once the dough has been cooked you pick what it gets rolled in, I went for cocoa sugar & the other options were cinnamon sugar, sugar & toasted hazelnuts.


Look at that! It was hot, delicious & a little like a donut. If you're in Vienna definitely try to get yourself one of these.

Whilst I was in Vienna it was pretty damn cold so we spent quite a bit of time hanging out at Cafe Espresso. I've only recently started liking hot drinks & my drink of choice is a decaf soya milk cappuccino.

The coffee here's excellent & there's a really nice relaxed atmosphere - you could totally sit in here all day!

I did of course eat some savoury food whilst I was in Vienna and the new place we tried out this time was Cafe Nil. This Egyptian place has a menu with a huge vegetarian section, most of which is vegan. The menu's in German so I got Melanie to help me pick, as soon as she read out the description of this dish I knew my decision was made. Rice topped with pasta topped with lentils, chickpeas & tomato sauce & covered in fried onions - hell yeah!

This was SO good, I want to be eating it right now. You get the sauce on the side so you can pour it over the dish yourself & there are two kinds of carbs - this couldn't be much more awesome if it tried!

Sadly this is the end of Vegan MoFo travel week, starting tomorrow it's cookbook challenge week. Every day I'll be picking, at random, two or three recipes to make from my cookbook collection, so who know's what I'll be eating...well I kinda do because I had to do the first couple of days food shopping but you get the idea!

Also, don't forget to enter the competition on my last post, it's right here & you have until 9am on Saturday 13th.

18 comments:

  1. I need to try that baumkuchen! I still cannot belive it is vegan. That is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're damn right those Chimney Cakes do look like towers of awesomeness !! I'm sure they would go down just as well with one of those soy cappuccinos. The Egyptian food sounds amazing as well and I must admit that's one national cuisine that I haven't tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food looks so good, but I'd especially like to try one of those Chimney Cakes! I've never heard of like them before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dough cylinder thing looks hilarious! And yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so cool that you found an Egyptian cafe serving veggie food. I tried that pasta/rice/lentil/chickpea/fried onion dish in Cairo, Egypt. It's called kusherie, just in case you ever want to look up a recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baumkuchen! I didn't know it was vegan - I love it! I really would like to visit Vienna this year, and thanks to your awesome posts (and Melisser, too!) I know where to go to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. edible telescope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been hard to stay away from that Baumkuchen when going on the market dates with the vegan ladies.

    Also, come back soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so awesome when people blog about vegan options in other countries or when traveling! The last time I traveled abroad was a few years ago and I wasn't vegan so this at least helps me find options for next time!

    Everything looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. And covered in fried onions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. the food looks amazing. it's funny that's actually on a cyclinder =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that chimney thing looks smokin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would really like to try this Chimney Cake!
    thanks for the comment on the blog!
    I'm loving the Vegan MoFo because I'm finding so many cool blogs... like yours !
    See ya !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those chimney cakes are the best and I feel so lucky to be able to get them in Sydney!

    Also, I have to have that rice, lentil, onion dish - it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, first time here, I just wanted to ask you If I could put your blog on my blog roll on http://alessandra-onlyrecipes.blogspot.com/

    I am a vegetarian, not a vegan, but I cook mostly vegan dinners (and mostly Italian or Japanese style), and I have a list of vegan blogs that I would like to expand.

    In the meantime I follow you:-)

    Let me know

    ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  16. And another post that makes me really hungry. ;)
    And I still can't get it into my head that those Baumkuchen are vegan. I wish I'd had one the last time I was in Vienna!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The chimney cake looks amazing... I'm going to have to find one if I ever find myself in Vienna.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!