Saturday 13 November 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 13 - Cookbook Challenge Week VI

I'll be announcing the winner of the sweet treats at the end of this post so stay tuned...

The cookbook challenge continued today with Veganomicon being the first pick.

The generator gave me page 179 Tomato & Roasted Eggplant Stew with Chickpeas. That sounded pretty good to me & I think it's a recipe I probably would've gotten around to making eventually. The instructions look a little long & complicated but once you've gotten the veggies roasting in the oven it all comes together really easily.

I served the stew with some cous cous & it was a really satisfying cold weather meal, perfect for England in November! I made 1/2 the recipe & there are two tubs of leftovers that I'll be putting in the freezer ready to be reheated after MoFo!

Second pick of the day was another one from Vegan Comfort Food and this time around the generator picked out page 204 - Thai Peanut Sauce. Obviously you can't just have sauce for dinner so I decided to go with the authors suggestion of her Spicy Soba Noodles in Peanut Sauce recipe, I've also decided that that counts as recipe three of the day! I've only tried one peanut sauce before, the recipe from Vegan With A Vengeance, but I was definitely up for giving this one a try.

The sauce was really easy to throw together, you just needed to whisk the ingredients together in a bowl & then heat if you're planning to serve it hot - or not if you're going to use it as a dip.


The rest of the meal was pretty simple too, you just steamed some veggies, did a spot of stir frying & cooked the soba noodles. I only made one change to the recipe, I'd intended to add tamarind paste but after going to two stores to look for it I gave up & just left it out.

The only thing I'd do differently next time would be to add some seitan or tofu because I love them & one thing I'll definitely be repeating in all my stir fry's is that I'll be steaming my broccoli & carrots from now on - I usually boil them but this was SO much better.

I think this was another successful day *yay* I will of course be back with more Cookbook Challenge fun tomorrow but now here's the bit I'm sure you've all been waiting for...

The competition winner is Falovi from Cooking green food up north. Congratulation's Falovi, leave a comment on this post letting me know how I can contact you & I'll get your prize in the mail.

19 comments:

  1. That stew sounds perfect. I should definitely have a look at Veganomicon again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love (LOVE!) that stew from Vcon so much it hurts! And we just did thai tofu with peanut sauce yesterday - not that recipe, but I'm sure it was super yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noodles in peanut sauce + tofu = heaven! I totally see where you're going with that one! And a nice idea to serve the roasted eggplant stew with couscous - a nice, light yet satisfying alternative to mash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I tell you enough how much I love your MoFo theme?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Spicy Soba Noodles looks so good!
    Been looking forward to some more savory MOFO stuff! ;-)
    p.s. Whats that orange lunchbox behind on 3rd pic? It's really cute

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those soba noodles do indeed look good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, I just love your theme so much, it's so fun how you're doing it. Two recipes I've not yet tried. The stew looks very nice. I'll give it a go when I'm done touring the world for mofo!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it bad to admit that I totally would eat just a bowl of peanut sauce for dinner? I've been known to eat half a jar of peanut butter straight when I'm feeling mopey, so peanut sauce would probably be a step forward ;)

    Though the soba recipe truly looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another day of deliciousness from Brighton! Your posts are so fun. Congratulations to Falovi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cute collection of cupcakes in the background!!!!Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I WON! send me an email to fanny.gelotte (@) gmail.com and I'll reply with my adress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The V'con recipe does sound good, and I agree it's one that I would try, but it's tough to know where to start with such a comprehensive cookbook. The random picks are looking good! I guess this means lots of grocery shopping for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can't just have peanut sauce for dinner? DAMN!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm the eggplant looks wonderful, but i've never had eggplant turn into anything but mush for me. how is it in the stew?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should really look up that stew recipe... I enjoy eggplant, but never know what to do when I finally go and buy one. This looks really tasty, and comforting on a cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. these noodles look AMAZING. we have a thai tofu wrap at my school that is just like this minus the pasta...i'm defiantly going to be making this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can get Tamarind paste in Taj in Brighton! It's really cheap in there, don't get ripped off by the stuff they sell in waitrose.
    (sorry if this is obvious, and you were just referring to the fact that you can't get the stuff in a corner shop!)
    I read your blog a lot but never comment - it's excellent, awesome cooking and lovely food!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Claire, that's my Hello Kitty timer! I love it!

    Jenny the eggplant definitely held up well. Most of the cooking time for it is he roasting & then it just simmers away for a while in the stew but there's not too much stirring or anything needed.

    Alice, I totally went to Taj! They must've sold out or something, I'll check back next time I need it though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of this looks truly amazing! I've never tried the eggplant stew before.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!