Tuesday 16 November 2010

MoFo Day 16 - Taking the day off!

Yup, that's right I'm taking the day off.

Not from MoFoing of course but I've been feeling sick & headachey all day & I can't handle the idea of cooking another meal! This is meant to be the week that Nick gets to pick all the food but because he's awesome he let me convince him that what he want's most for dinner tonight is take out.


Yay for Nick not letting me have some kinda MoFo based breakdown! That's us in Scotland!

I haven't exactly cooked nothing all day, as Nick's picking the food this week I knew there'd be a lot of seitan eating going on so I made a double batch of our favourite seitan, the Steamed White Seitan from Viva Vegan.


This is the most reliable & easy seitan recipe I've ever tried, I love it & I use it in pretty much every recipe that calls for seitan!

For lunch I managed to use the leftover Uncheese Cookbook Amazing Mac n Cheez Sauce from Friday to make a sort of Welsh Rarebit creation.

I just mixed some vegan worcestershire sauce into the cheese sauce, gave it a stir, spread it onto my toast & stuck it under the grill for a few minutes. It was really good & much healthier that the cheezly I'd usually use for this kind of lunch. As we said after eating the sauce on Friday it's not quite noochey enough for us so of course I thought the same about this toast!

We're having Pompoko for dinner, it's probably our favourite take out option because you get this huge bowl of rice, veggies & tofu for £4.40. It's also right around the corner from our house, we usually call in the order as we're leaving & by the time we get there it's all ready for us to collect.


Next to our usual order of Sesame Tofu Don (the rice bowl) is Yubamaki, described on the menu as tofu roll filled with vegetables. This is made of yuba (tofu skin) and filled with sweet potato, mushroom & something white that we still haven't identified. This is delicious comfort food at it's best.

Now, I promise I'll be back with some proper cooking tomorrow but for now I'm going to sit on the sofa & do nothing for the rest of the day!

11 comments:

  1. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon! I have to try Welsh Rarebit sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cupcake tray! And the vegan Welsh rarebit sounds yummy...get better! I've been battling a cold myself. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. take care of yourself and i hope you're feeling 100% super soon! i looove your welsh rarebit creation. i'm gonna have to try something like it because i looooove me some vegan worcestershire sauce. w00t! enjoy all the delicious take out, relax a bunch, and enjoy your day as much as you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you feel better!
    That Welsh Rarebit looks really good!
    And I love your Unicorn plasters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take-out saves the day! There's not much of that in Montana (where I'm visiting for 3 weeks), but I'm ALL over some take-out when I'm home in Chicago!
    I've been wondering about the steamed white seitan...I always seem to fudge up boiled seitan and I've almost lost all hope of making my own seitan ever. But you've convinced me I should try again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your day off and rest up, JoJo! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. get well soon! :) I haven't had welsh rarebit in a while, but I'm certainly craving it now, hah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't know why but I haven't made anything from Viva Vegan yet, so thanks for all the posts from it.
    I'm feeling inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you don't feel well. Perhaps the tasty takeout will help a little.
    I keep reading about the white seitan from Viva Vegan, and I've really got to go make a batch to try it. It must be good if it keeps popping up on blogs. My favorite Uncheese sauce is Mostarella, or whatever it's called, but I don't think I've tried any that I didn't like. (Can't say that about vegan cheese in general.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you are feeling better. :) Thanks for mentioning the steamed white seitan. I'll have to try that. I like seitan and it's relatively easy to make. Love trying new things.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!