Friday 12 November 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 12 - Cookbook Challenge Week Part V

I didn't manage to get my MoFo on until really late today & I was definitely stressing out a little, but I pulled myself together & got my bake on because I'm really determined to post every day & I've got a theme that needs sticking to! First outa the proverbial 'hat' today was Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.


I was excited not only because this is another Isa & Terry favourite of mine but also because it's new-ish I haven't actually used it much yet. The generator threw out page 197 - Coffee House Hermits.

This probably isn't a cookie I'd have picked myself - I always go for oatmeal or the classic chocolate chip but as with the Sparkled Ginger Cookies from Day 1 of the challenge I figured you can't go wrong with a cookie.

Sadly in this case you can. As I was mixing in the last of the flour I decided that we had a problem - the recipe said that the dough should be stored in the fridge for 30 min's but my baking experience told me that I was definitely looking at a batter not a dough. As always I turned to the PPK Forums for help & ijustdiedinside confirmed my suspicions that there is indeed a typo in the recipe, the measurement should be 1/2 a cup of coffee not 2 cups. But because she's so awesome she offered a suggestion - why not try to turn it into a cake? So that is exactly what I did...

...I just thew the batter into my 8 x 8 brownie pan & baked it for 50 min's at gas mark 4 and it totally turned into a cake! I'm really happy with the results, this cookie recipe gave me a beautifully moist sponge cake & with a few more tweaks I think I'll be well on my way to veganising Jamaica Ginger Cake which is something I've been meaning to do for ages!

Second pick of the day was The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook, I've used this to make the Crock Cheez & the Chick Cheez which were both excellent. I was excited when the generator gave me page 64 Amazing Mac 'N Cheez Sauce because I like mac 'n' cheese, a lot!

Now I already have two favourite mac 'n' cheese recipes, the New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook recipe & the Veganomicon Cheesy sauce either turned into the Mac Daddy recipe or just straight up all over my pasta - yum.


This mac 'n' cheese recipe was gloopy & brilliant but not quite noochy enough for our tastes, we're big nooch (or nutritional yeast, to use it's full name) fans in this house. We did really like the consistency though so we'll probably make a variation of this again.

Last recipe of the day came from The Joy of Vegan Baking.

Page 132 & this time we have *drumroll* Apple Crumble. Awesome! Yet another food I love & this recipe is different enough from the crumble I usually throw together to make it a challenge.

Firstly you peel, core & chop the apples & then rub them with sugar & spices.

Next you make the topping. Usually I top my crumble with a mix of sugar, oats, flour & margarine but this recipe calls for ground nuts rather than the oats.... interesting! I wasn't 100% sure this'd work as it certainly isn't the traditional British way of topping your crumble but I was so wrong...

... this was without a doubt the best crumble I've ever eaten. It's SO good, in fact you should go & buy The Joy of Vegan Baking right now just so that you can make this crumble!

The cookbook challenge will be continuing tomorrow but I'll also be announcing the winner of my giveaway, you have until 9am UK time tomorrow to enter so if you haven't entered yet get on it!

13 comments:

  1. Oh, sometimes I suspect typos in recipes too. But there was a time when I called my mom to ask why a cake recipe called for vinegar (and now I use that all the time!). I'm glad yours turned out well - they look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE apple crumble!

    I think you inspired me to take on some neglected cookbooks, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cookbook challenge! I should really do something like this myself.

    Also, I'm glad I read about the typo here because now I can write that in my book for when I decide to make the recipe and I won't make the same mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey! that cake looks great! nice recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cookbook challenge. And I kind of want all the food you made today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome again! Nice ingenuity with the coffee cake. The other recipes look great! I have recently discovered The Uncheese Cookbook, and and am totally in love with the cheezy broccoli rice casserole. Dump in (what, eight?) ingredients, cover, cook one hour, eat deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to veganise Jamaican Ginger Cake for AGES - this little mishap looks very very close so just add some ginger says I. Let me know if you do and I'll be your BFF.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That mac and cheese looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, apple crumble. You are making me miss my cookbooks that sadly are in storage right now.
    I'm doing Vegan MoFo on my blog too, and I'm trying to visit as many fellow MoFoer's as possible. I'm so glad I discovered your blog, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Joy of Vegan Baking is on my wishlist for christmas, that apple crumble looks amazing!

    I love your Pez collection btw, I have a lonely bambi one standing on my desk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh excellent recovery jojo! turning cookies into a cake is genius... and it really looks like a great little cake. Also, I have Joy of Vegan Baking, but I've never made that crumble. God knows I have plenty of apples on my apple tree, so I'll give it go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jojo - the gingerbread cupcake recipe from VCTOTW made in a brownie pan is a ringer for Jamaica Ginger Cake, if you sub Lyon's Treacle for molasses, and brown rice syrup for maple syrup...

    Loving the Cookbook Challenge, btw. Ruby Rose xx

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!