Sunday 14 November 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 14 - Cookbook Challenge Week Part VII

I slept until lunchtime today (if you eat lunch reeeeally late!) & when I got up I ate a whole world of toast, which was awesome but sadly it means I've had a bit of a failey day on the Cookbook Challenge front; by the time I'd cooked anything it was actually pitch black outside.

First outa the 'hat' today was The Urban Vegan, I bought this cook book pretty recently & hadn't cooked anything from it - until today. The generator picked page 14, Brownie Bites. "Hell Yeah" I though, this is my kinda recipe!

I made one change, the author suggests half wholewheat & half spelt flour, I went for 2/3 plain & 1/3 spelt. As far as I could tell this didn't mess up the recipe or anything because these were delicious, really god-damn delicious! The only thing I'd say is don't wait the 15 min's for them to cool, these are at their gooey best eaten as soon as they're cool enough to handle - don't be as impatient as me though, if you try to remove them from the pan immediately they'll fall apart & you'll have to eat them outa the muffin pan with a spoon & that'd be just terrible!

Second recipe of the day was from Vegan With a Vengeance and the generator picked me page 71, White Bean & Roasted Garlic Soup. Now this certainly isn't something I'd have picked as I don't really like soup BUT the one soup I loved happened to be a roasted garlic soup from a bar called Ruups in Vienna so for soup this seemed promising.

I decided to start by making my own stock, I went renegade with this one & didn't follow a recipe.


I threw all my peelings from the week into a pan with a bit of leftover parsley, some garlic cloves, celery & a parsnip that'd seen better days & simmered for 1 hour 30 min's.


Yup, those are my sunglasses on top of the microwave, I wear them when I'm peeling onions!

I'd never tried to make my own stock before, for some reason I'd gotten it into my head that it'd be too much of a pain in the ass & that stock cubes are super convenient so why bother - it turns out I'm an idiot! This was so easy & do you know how much salt's in a stock cube?! I'm definitely going to be making my own stock from now on.

Anyway, back to the soup; this was one of the easiest things I've ever made, seriously.


I served it with delicious local organic bread from the Infinity Foods Co-op but sadly I still don't think I really like soup - maybe if I'm sick I'll come back to this but I'd probably double the garlic & maybe make it more brothy? I did love the flavour the roasted garlic added to the soup & I'll definitely be roasting more garlic in the future. Also, the recipe suggests that you use a food processor to blend the soup & I did this before taking the picture. Afterwards, once I'd tried it, I decided it was still a bit lumpy & gave it a good old blend in my Kitchenaid blender - it was much creamier & if you have a rubbish food processor I'd definitely suggest blending your soup.

I'll be back tomorrow with the final part of Cookbook Challenge Week & hopefully I'll get up & into the kitchen before dark - which in my kitchen is around 3pm.

17 comments:

  1. The soup looks lovely. I like your random stock. My kind of veggie broth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't homemade broth at total revelation? I feel like I belong in secret club!

    Also, I freakin' want those brownie bites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat brownie bites for dinner, I'm sure....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I have one of the brownie bites? they look so yummy and chocolatey. And I definitely need to start making my own vegetable stock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...those brownie bites look amazing! I'm marking that recipe for something to take to Thanksgiving dinner at my mom's house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool MoFo theme!

    Those brownie bites do look awesome: super moist and chocolatey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for random stock! The soup looks really good. Make sure you email me your address--I haven't received it as of yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm brownie bites! Love the sunglasses idea, it actually works?! I also love Infinity Foods, I think it was the only place I managed to find nutritional yeast the year I lived in Brighton!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that soup recipe! I haven't tried the brownie bites yet, but I have so many brownie recipes waiting to be tried they may be on the backburner for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. making your own stock is badass, indeed! we save our veggies scraps in a bag in the freezer and make our own with 'em, too. w00t! i don't have The Urban Vegan, but it's on my wishlist - i keep hearing so many good things about it! :D the brownie bites look damn delicious - and i've never had VWAV's roasted garlic and white bean soup. gonna have to make that soon - it looks sooooooo gooooood!

    also - hooray for getting to sleep in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) Making your own stock. You are badass.
    2) Vegan with a Vegeance. You are old skool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, I love that both our recent posts are about homemade stock! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those brownie bites look delicous! Also, is that a hello kitty timer I see? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are making me crave soup so bad! I know I felt so bad-ass the first time I made my own broth - woo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a kick-ass soup maker! I bet that stock made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the cute cupcakes in the background! What are they?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa! Stock from scratch? I'm mad impressed! Also, it's totally adorable that you keep your glasses on the microwave.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!