Friday 19 November 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 19

It was a day off work for Nick today so we had a nice long lie in followed by a healthyish brunch. Nick loves tofu scramble & I have one recipe I always make, the Vegan Mom recipe from the Vegan Dad blog. This recipe's the most scrambled egg like recipe of any tofu scramble I've tried, probably because it has cream (vegan, of course!) in it to make it, well, creamy!


I always make this is two separate pans, Nick's straight up as the recipe suggests & then I add spinach & tomatoes to mine. I usually serve this with a side of steamed broccoli, for both of us. This is one of my favourite quick meals & it's perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.

We decided today would be the day to break out our brand new deep fat fryer - hells yeah! We used to have a hand me down fryer from my parents but it was HUGE & we kept frying everything, seriously, everything! We decided that we're old enough to deal with the responsibility of this gadget these days so we bought ourselves a mini-deep fryer from John Lewis when we were up in Scotland - it was only £39, how could any sane person resist that?

After breaking it out of the packaging we turned it on to heat the oil whilst I chopped some potatoes into chip sized pieces. I saw an episode of Come Dine With Me the other day where the lady got 1 chip out of each potato because they just had to be the exact same size, what a waste of food! This definitely went nothing like that.


Next you just pop the chips into the basket, we did 1/2 at a time because you weren't meant to fill the basket even half full...


...after 8 minutes when they're almost done you pop them out...


...and put them onto a plate where you pat them dry with kitchen towel.

Apparently this method of twice frying the potatoes makes them crispier & more awesome. You then pop them back into slightly hotter oil for another two minutes, until they come out all golden and perfect like this.


Yum! I covered mine in gravy...

...and ate them in front of Gossip Girl. Perfect! See ya tomorrow MoFoers...

18 comments:

  1. I would get into so much trouble with that fryer! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I love 'scrambled' tofu too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look AMAZING. I always wish I had a fryer, but I'm glad I don't, because I'd be eating delicious fried food like that every night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa. Yum. It all looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a real live chip fryer in your own home! Those chips look mighty good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum. If I ever got one of those it would be the most dangerous thing ever.

    Also I love gossip girl! I'm also a season behind on it... ack!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at that deep fryer. Perfect potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both the scramble (I would like yours with spinach and tomato) and potatoes look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deep fryer whattttttttt. You are the kitchen gadget queen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now, they look like proper chips! Good to see the gravy there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fries look great! My kitchen is too small for any gadgets like this (I'm still dreaming of a rice cooker and a proper food processor, too), but maybe one day... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. God I LOVE Come Dine with Me - I'm watching them on the internet. That fryer is such a bargainacious price and now I am craving chips and gravy - aahh good old English cuisine, you can't beat it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool! I just wanted to say "You gota fry them twice" because my father hammered that into my brain since I was five. He likes to fry stuff. A lot. These look really, really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw that come dine with me.. what an idiot woman! Those chips look perfect.. I've only just had my breakfast and now I'm craving chips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The chips look ace! Way better than that come dine woman's...

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!