Wednesday 3 September 2014

MoFo '14 Day 3 - Taco or Beer Challenge



Well it's day three of Vegan MoFo and I'm breaking with my theme already - usually I make it at least 10 days before falling apart but this time it's for a good reason. I'm rabidly pro-choice and I love tacos so when my pal Stephanie, aka the Vegan Lazy Smurf, nominated me for the Taco or Beer Challenge it was a no brainier. Of course I'll do it! And what better place to do it than Austin, Tx the home of the best vegan breakfast tacos I've ever eaten. Honestly beer never even came into the equation - screw beer, tacos will always win in a fight over my heart.

If you haven't heard of the Taco or Beer Challenge I'll let Stephanie fill you in because whilst she is lazy in name I'm lazy in nature and I'm also on vacation (as they call it over here). She says...

"I think the whole idea might have started as a satire of the ice bucket challenge, you do something, tell everyone that you did it, and then donate to a cause. Why waste a bunch of water and pour ice on your head when you could instead eat a delicious taco or drink a refreshing beer (or both!) and then donate to fund abortion? It makes a lot more sense to me!"

It makes a lot more sense to me too Stephanie. Throwing around buckets of ice during a drought and donating to a charity that animal tests was never going to be a winning plan in my eyes but this? This I'm into! Cherrywood Coffeehouse is today's taco destination of choice.


At Cherrywood your taco comes with three fillings as standard (you can add more for $.50 or $1) and I went with the greatest combo, in my opinion anyway, of potatoes (yup, those are shoestring potatoes which are essentially breakfast chips - fuck yeah!), tofu (deep fried!! OMG!!) and avocado (because, fat and yum).


This was so ridic' delish' that I went back for a second immediately! As I ate two taco's I'm going to be donating to two abortion charities, first, as I'm in Austin I've donated to Whole Woman's Texas Action Fund because it sucks that awesome feminist abortion providers are having to shut down because of Republican political shit. Charity two is a little closer to home. The Abortion Support Network provide financial assistance and accommodation to people (regardless of gender identity) travelling from Ireland and Northern Ireland to England for a safe and legal abortion. 

Honestly it blows my mind that people think it's acceptable to tell people what to do with their own bodies and it both angers and saddens me that people are having to go through all of this to have an abortion in 20-fucking-14. I'm tagging my bff and fellow MoFo blogger Sal from Alien on Toast because I know she'll be up for the challenge! You don't need to be tagged to take the challenge on though, oh no, you can just go for it by eating a taco or drinking a beer, making a donation and tagging someone to start the chain off anew. 

Here's a bonus Cherrywood Coffeehouse patio dog. To channel Doge, so cute, very tail, much wow.


Happy MoFoing!

16 comments:

  1. What a great challenge! I am with you, it makes me so frustrated that people think they control someone else's body.

    Now, potato, tofu and avocado in a taco? Yes times infinity. I am going to eat this next year. Maybe more than one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK not sure if my last comment went through! But if not, basically I said blah blah thanks for the tag, blah blah tacos WOO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great challenge! And that taco sounds AMAZING, I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like that taco, right now, oh man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH! I'm so glad I made you already break your themes! LOL! Let's get tacos! BBQ Revolution opens back up tonight and Unity is having a birthday party this Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely worth straying from your theme for, it's an awesome challenge! That taco looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for donating! Also, that taco! With potatoes. I need to try that next May.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is about a thousand times better than the ice bucket challenge! You win.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an awesome challenge! I'm currently trying to fit it into my posting plan and theme; maybe a vegan haggis taco?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like one mighty tasting Taco! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh damn! I love Cherrywood tacos! What a cool challenge. So much better than the ice water nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That challenge is awesome, what a great idea.

    And that taco, OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that challenge, because I fucking love tacos.
    I also fucking love when people have access to abortion services when they need it! A+

    Hope you're having an absolutely wonderful time in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes! pro-choice! tacos! fried tofu! lazy smurf! tiny dog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this! and that taco looks delicious; i've never been to cherrywood. must add it to the list.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!