Wednesday 17 September 2014

MoFo '14 Day 17 - Pizza Me


Both Nick and I had the day off on Monday, we slept in, we made awesome tacos for lunch, we caught up on Neighbours (tell me we're not the only people still watching that?!) but by dinner time we were feeling pretty lazy. A sensible dinner was never going to happen. Given that we were cozied up under a blanket already even going out for dinner seemed like more effort than we were willing to put in and when you're feeling like that there's only one thing to do and that's order pizza! So order pizza we did. It even fitted with my MoFo theme, how could we not?

Usually we order from Pizza Face but this time we decided to branch out. Our options were either La Cucina who do vegan cheese but no mock meats (and there's a £1.50 or £3 up charge for vegan cheese depending on the size of your pizza) or Pizza Me who do both mock meats and vegan cheese and who I've been hearing good things about. When Nick saw that they did an 18" pizza he was sold and I figured what the hell, get the ridiculous pizza your dreams are made of dude!


I even let him remove all of the veg and add extra sausage! This is the No Meat Me Vegan and it's meant to have bacon, ham, onion and rocket. Nick shuns veg on pizza unless we're at Pizza Express and there's no other option and the lovely people at Pizza Me kindly let him do a straight switch for sausages. I was pretty excited by our pizza's largesse! 


The arrangement of the mock meats was a little odd, usually the bacon and ham would be cut up and more evenly sprinkled over the pizza but it that didn't really hinder my enjoyment of it. Maybe this is how people like their meat these days?


The base and crust were solid. Thin with a crispy crust, just how I like it, and in my opinion this is the area where they take the lead over Pizza Face. The cheese to tomato ratio was off though, I think pizza should be super saucy and this was not. There was also a mouthfeel issue with the cheese and I fear that they may be using the Violife slices rather than the shreds which are specifically designed for pizza. The slices are awesome on a burger or in a grilled cheese but they're all wrong here. This was much better cold with a lot of mayo than it was warm, and I say warm not hot because that's how it arrived, warm bordering on cool, bordering on cold by the time I'd finished my first slice. And yes, I'd kept the box shut.

Despite the friendliness of both the staff on the phone and the nice delivery dude I think Pizza Me have a little bit of work to do before I'd considering ordering from them again. For now I'll be sticking with Pizza Face (mainly because I'm in love with their cheesy garlic bread, I wish they'd bring back The Pammy) or giving La Cucina a try.

10 comments:

  1. Wow that pizza is huge! Shame about the not-quite-right parts though :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny indeed how they arranged the mock meats on the pizza! It looks good though (well, any pizza with vegan cheese that's delivered looks good to me, as it's hard to get pizza with vegan cheese deliverered around here).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous of all the vegan-friendly pizza places! So jealous that it prompted me to buy some violife pizza cheese so I can has awesome pizza :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous that you can get that kind of vegan friendly pizza delivered! Shame it wasn't perfect but I'd kill for that in Manchester! I love how massive it is. I WANT A MASSIVE PIZZA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woahwee, that looks like super thin crust. I don't think I've ever had such a thin pizza. It reminds me of the teenage mutant ninja turtles eating floppy slices of pizza. I really want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. bahaha a whole slab of bacon and soss on a pizza! Totally how I'm gonna do it from now on too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there were a pizza version of Cake Wrecks, that display of bacon and ham would definitely make it. This is why blogs exist, Jojo! So that even when that pizza you bought kinda sucked, at least you can derive some pleasure from laughing about it on the Internet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like a lot of sauce on pizza and not a lot of cheese so this would probably not be my fave. It's good to have several options for vegan pizza though. When the pizza is whole, it looks kind of cool with the giant pieces of mock meat, even if it doesn't make for the best flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the thinnest vegan pizza i've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just came here to say how super duper cute your hairdo is!! Sorry the pizza was a bit of a dud.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!