Friday 12 September 2014

MoFo '14 Day 12 - Cheese and Wine Party


Before this year's MoFo began I was thinking on my theme and making lists of the things I wanted to blog about. One of the first things that sprang to mind was a cheese and wine party, it was something my local vegan group (we're on meet up, come join us!) had been talking about doing for a while and whilst I was in Austin I got an e-mail from my pal Melinda who's part of the group inviting me to a cheese and wine party at her house literally the day after I got home. Perfect, all of the party with none of the effort! It was last night and it turns out that Melinda is the hostess with the mostest! This party was ridiculous, there was even a playlist of cheesy music.

Despite being among the first to arrive the wine had already started to pile up.


It was all vegan, of course, and I'm sure it was great. People seemed to be enjoying it anyway!

I didn't want to rock up empty handed despite Melinda assuring us she had the food taken care of so I brought some of my favourite cheese from Treeline which I picked up in Austin as soon as I heard about the party.


I have a whole post about this stuff coming up tomorrow but, spoiler alert, everyone loved it!

Jodie also couldn't help but bring along something to share and she hooked us up with some Baked Almond Feta which she used in her Beetroot & Feta Salad too. Apologies for the terrible photo! The cheese was ridiculously delicious and I can't wait to get the recipe and give it a go myself.


Melinda had our snacks sorted too, there were water biscuits (my cheese vessel of choice) alongside the quinoa and lentil chips and fancy crackers but they didn't manage to make it into the shot.


First to the table were these very fancy cheese sticks as well as rainbow carrots with two kinds of dip, one dill and one onion which were both tasty and I enjoyed the nod towards veg!


When I do cheese sticks I usually go for the far less classy cheese and pineapple combo but these had gherkins, pickled onions and more than one kind of olive alongside both Cheddar and Mozzarella Violfe cheese. Wowza!

The next thing to fly out of the kitchen was this platter of delightful cheesy garlic toasts. Cheesey garlic bread is one of my favourite things ever so I ate quite a few pieces of this upscale, fancified version.


The cheese plate was next and it featured Smokey Mozzarisella, Pepperjack Cheezly and Vegusto's No-Moo Aromatic. Check the gorgeous presentation!


I loved the Vegusto and enjoyed a little Mozzarisella but personally I prefer that one melted. I skipped the Cheezly because, Pepperjack, but you can bet I gorged myself silly on the beautiful organic grapes.

I feel super lucky to live somewhere with such a wide range of vegan cheeses. Sure it would be nice to have Follow Your Heart, Teese, Daiya, Punk Rawk Labs or Treeline too but I don't think we're doing too badly over here on our little island.

The last two dishes made to compliment each other were the Rocket, Cherry Tomato and Tofu Haloumi Salad and the Mac & Cheese. Yeah, that's right, mac & cheese. Only one of my favourite foods ever!



I served myself a sensible portion of the mac to start with as well as a little nod to the salad (which was actually totally delicious too!) to start with but thankfully there were two casserole dishes full of mac so I got myself three helpings in the end without even needing to feel like I was stealing all the food! Phew!


The mac was cashew and nooch based which meant it was creamy and delicious, just how I like it. I loved that it was baked with a breadcrumb topping because this is something I often can't be bothered to do at home.

There was even a cheesy dessert which I skipped because I'm no fan of cheesecake. I don't know why, I realise that it's super weird, but I took a picture of my friend Rachel's slice for y'all anyway.


If the rest of Melinda's food is anything to go by I'd bet money that this was some damn fine cheesecake. I'm so glad I was in town for this party and if the food here looks as good to you as it did to me Melinda has a blog so you can check out more of her tasty eats if you're into that kinda thing.

17 comments:

  1. Wow! What a spread! I am blown away! How awesome that you were back in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow - what a party. so much thought and effort into the whole thing - from appetizers to main dishes and even a cheesecake. I'm super impressed. Also, I look forward to your treeline review. I haven't tried that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun & yummy party! What a great variety of cheeses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i could get behind that party! though after one glass of red i am pretty much gone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing idea for a party! The food all looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah. Everything looks great. So jealous! ;) I'm not a wine drinker, but I could definitely get behind all the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Looks like you had a really great selection of vegan cheese there! I love wine and cheese nights :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing, I wish we had enough different cheeses here to have such an amazing party. I am hoping to get quite a bit of cheese tasting in when I am in the US next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this & thought of you: http://www.easyvegan.info/img/whine-and-cheese.jpg

    Also, that feta? Looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to have a wine and cheese party at home for a few months now, and I'm so envious of all of the great vegan cheese options that exist in USA. we're quite limited here, to the point that I've been considering just trying to make a variety of cheeses and hope they turn out! :D This all looks so amazing (especially that cheesecake).

    I like the tree line stuff too, but kite hill is always my go to when ever we're in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one impressive spread! Everything looks delicious but I especially want to bite into one of those cheesy garlic toasts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowzers! What a delicious looking feast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent idea for a party and what a great variety of ways to consume the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been thinking about making almond feta recently, but the cashew mac and cheese sounds intriguing. I need to investigate! I wish we could get Kite Hill here, I have been dreaming about it, that and a fresh baguette...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been trying to locate where I could buy or order MozzaRisella online. Does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy it online from vegancheese.co.uk or veggiestuff.com

      Delete

Talk to me!