Monday 30 September 2013

Mac 'n Cheese Monday - On the road.

Because I'm totally obsessed with both pasta and anything vegan-cheesy I like to fit in as much mac 'n cheese as possible whilst travelling, here are some of my favourites.

This side of Creamy Mac n Cheese from Foodswings in Brooklyn was pretty perfect, I loved it and I was gutted that I couldn't finish the whole bowl!


Also a side, the mac 'n' cheese from Chicago Diner in, yup, you guessed it, Chicago, was also creamy and delicious - just the way I like it.


I'm realising now that I'm writing this that the majority of the mac's I've enjoyed are sides! Weird. This next one's from Veggie Grill who have locations in Seattle, Portland and all over California. This contained some unexpected chilli but makes it into the favourites list anyway because it was perfectly al dente thanks to the gluten free pasta and once I knew the chilli pieces were in there I could eat around 'em no worries.


This next one certainly didn't come from a restaurant but I did eat in on the road so it's in. The Amy's Dairy Free Rice Macaroni and Cheeze is made with Daiya and it's something I eat regularly when we're staying in hotels, motels or anywhere with a microwave. It's so delicious that I eat it whilst I'm travelling even though I can get it at home.


This side of mac no-cheese from Homegrown Smoker in Portland was one I wished was way, way bigger. It was perfectly creamy and smokey and next time I'll be getting an extra portion.


This next one only just scrapes its way onto the list on a technicality, it's not really just a mac 'n cheese and therefor shouldn't be judged as such. Buuuut the Mac & Cheese Burger from White Owl Social Club in Portland was one of the best things I've ever eaten so it's getting a special mention. 


Where are your favourite mac & cheeses hiding? You never know I just might travel somewhere to try them.

I can't believe this is that last Vegan MoFo post of 2013, I've loved taking part - I've learnt that blogging (and especially commenting) from the road is, um, challenging and, as always, I have a tonne of stuff bookmarked to read, make, and gain inspiration from throughout the year. Until next time MoFo's!

29 comments:

  1. Mac 'n' Cheese as a side dish is such a great idea! Congrats on making it through Vegan MoFo! It's been a pretty amazing month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you too, it's been so much fun reading your blog throughout the month.

      Delete
  2. It's awesome that you managed to post every day on the road! All your mac n cheese travels look rad babes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I share the same obsession! If mac and cheese had the same nutritional content as greens and fruits, I'm pretty sure I'd be eating more than I do. But traveling is always a great excuse to eat it multiple times a week for me. I sooo want that mac and cheese burger. Congrats on a successful MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would totally eat mac & cheese every day if I could!

      Delete
  4. I think mac and cheese should always be a side dish. It's a little overwhelming otherwise, even though these all look incredible. It's been a long time since I've had vegan mac!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even know where to start with this post!
    Drool!
    But you know what I love about the U.S?
    When you get gherkins/pickles with your burgers etc they're always lovely and crisp
    But in the U.K they're soggy and floppy (haha)
    Is it a special type of pickle? Thought you may know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uch, dude, I have no idea! Why the pickles here are SO MUCH BETTER than the ones in the UK is a total mystery to me, please lemme know if you ever find out & I'll do the same!

      Delete
  6. Oh man, I am STILL regretting not trying the Mac & Cheese burger at White Owl Social Club! Everyone raves about it. I had the jackfruit burger instead -- nice, but not as good as I imagine the mac & cheese burger! Really, I should have had both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you're just gonna have to go back to Portland!

      Delete
  7. One of my fave parts of Vida Vegan Con was your love affair with the mac & cheese burger :)
    I'm so sad I didn't get to try Homegrown Smoker! Need to go back to PDX.
    And Ughhh your Chicago Diner picture shows the Reuben that I miss every single day !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, ME TOO! I love that thing so much, maybe I'll scrap the roast dinner this Christmas and make that instead! Also we need to meet up in Chicago and eat that reuben because I miss it all the time too!

      Delete
    2. Guys, if VVC is in Chi-town this year, I'm totally crashing your diner experience.

      Delete
  8. Those Mac 'n' Cheese dishes look so yum, I could eat it for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my favorite mac & cheeze is the one i make every week for dinner, simple but good.

    at the ERF in Oakland over the weekend i had a mac n cheeze taco - interestingly yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I had that too, I need to blog about it soon!

      Delete
  10. Commenting via mobile is the pits! Now I can't think of anything but those drumsticks from Foodswings; you get extra credit for getting an assortment (southern fried FTW).

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Mac and Cheese Burger was amazing, and it was thanks to you that I made the effort to get there and eat it. So good. I also loved Veggie Grill and Homegrown Smoker mac and cheese. I thought the mac and cheese at Hungry Tiger Too was very good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay, I'm glad my enthusiasm for its deliciousness convinced someone to eat it, it really was epic in the truest sense of the word! I didn't get the mac at Hungry Tiger Too but now I'm wishing that I had, I can't believe I missed a mac.

      Delete
  12. What a mac and cheese line up! You're previous mac posts have inspired me - I'm making the mac and shews for tea tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After reading your post, I am yearning for some cheezy and creamy pasta. I can't find anything to make this amazing dish here in Buenos Aires, the ingredients are pretty limited. I've been hunting for some Nooch, so far no luck, it could have been in Chinatown, I have no idea. I <3 Veggie Grill, their mac and cheese dish was pretty delicious, and I love their GF pasta, too. My god, the Amy's frozen Mac & cheese dish - it is still waiting for me in the freezer back home in Oregon! I'm so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you ever make it to Kansas City, the mac and cheese at FUD is terrific. Looking at that picture of mac & cheese from Homegrown Smoker filled me with so much longing. If I could have just one restaurant from Portland in my own town, that's the one I'd steal away with no doubt.

    I've loved reading all of your MoFo posts!! Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mac and Cheese is the best! Have you been to the mac and cheese restaurants in NYC? The vegan mac and cheese at Brooklyn Mac is awesome, and I've heard good things about the vegan option at s'Mac in the East Village. I love that there are multiple restaurants dedicated to mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hiii I miss your mofo posts. I've nominated you for a Sunshine Award over on my blog if you feel like it :)http://movingscouse.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/the-sunshine-award/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vegan food is the best!

    Thank you so much for inspiring people to try plant-based fare

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey jojo it's hannah (from infinity)! i was reading your blog and i just had to tell you, when i was travelling in october/november i was trying to eat as much mac and cheese as i could, and while foodswings and chicago diner provided my second and third favourites respectively, the one that beat them all was from hogtown vegan in toronto! it was super creamy and topped with crispy breadcrumbs. you should definitely check it out (their whole menu is awesome if you haven't been). when i live there i can tell it's gonna be a slippery slope. so yeah, i had to reply to this. mac and cheese is important to me.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!