Monday 16 September 2013

Mac 'n Cheese Monday - San Francisco Edition

I didn't think I was going to manage a Mac 'n Cheese Monday post today, the two places I wanted to head to get my mac on (thanks to your awesome recommendations) were Homeroom in Oakland and Source over in the Design District. Unfortunately neither of these spots aligned with today's riding bicycles in Golden Gate Park plan. Soooo we did the next best thing, cheese picnic!


Yesterday we went to Rainbow Grocery and picked up a tub of Treeline soft French style nut cheese and a Dr Cow aged cashew cheese and today when we picked up our bikes we completed the trio with a tub of The Cultured Kitchen smoked cheddar cashew cheese. We also grabbed a Herb Slab, which is like a less oily focaccia, because cheese without bread is just sad!

This was one of the best picnics ever, not just because of the awesome setting and the huge appetite we'd worked up biking all over the park but because the quality of our cheese and bread choices were outstanding. The Treeline cheese is a tangy soft cashew cheese with lemony overtones, Nick enjoyed this one a lot whilst I preferred the Dr Cow which is a harder cheese. Our absolute favourite was the smoky cheddar cheese though, from a brand I'd ever heard of before this one was more like a dip than a spreadable cheese and was reminiscent of the sauce for one of my favourite mac & cheeses from Vegan Diner.

I think this was a super successful Cheese Monday even if there was no mac - I'll definitely be heading to Source and/or Homeroom this week though so expect a proper Mac 'n Cheese Monday post next week.

PS - My blog is insisting on time / date stamping my posts with the time in the UK so whilst it says I posted this on Tuesday 17th it is very definitely still Monday 16th here in San Francisco!

12 comments:

  1. A pretty good alternative. The cheeses over there are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like a good alternative to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sounds so lovely to have a day of biking followed by a cheese & bread picnic. I've tried Doctor Cow before, which is terrific, but I haven't had a chance to sample the other two (yet!). It sounds like you're having such a fun time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time we went looking for Rainbow we got lost....good for you for finding it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely looking picnic, herb slab is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous! I have wanted to try Dr Cow and Treeline Soft Cheese for like, forever! I first read about Treeline cheese when it was being stocked at Lagusta's Luscious. Do you think we will ever get these in the UK? X

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all know that the best part about mac and cheese is the cheese! :D

    What a lovely picnic! I've never tried the Dr Cow cheeses. WANT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like this was the universe telling you to enjoy GG Park - Homeroom is closed on Mondays!

    Your cheese picnic sounds super lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so jealous of your cheese haul. What great picnic deliciousness! who needs mac when you can just enjoy it on bread. yes, please!

    And I love your disclaimer as to when you posted at the end there. Mostly because I just squeaked out my post for today. I hit Publish and actually let out a 'Did it. HA!'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun day! I have yet to try any of those cheeses, they all look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a decatent picnic! I wish I could have joined you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SOunds like a wonderful picnic. I've never heard of The Cultured Kitchen smoked cheddar cashew cheese but it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!