Friday 13 September 2013

Facsimile Friday - Blossom Benedict

Welcome to the second instalment of Facsimile Friday MoFo's. Last week saw me whipping up a noochy tofu scram from Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse in Austin and today sees me re-creating the best Benedict I've ever eaten. The Benedict in question is on the menu at Cafe Blossom on Carmine in NYC which is approximately 3473 miles away. 


The Benedict itself comes with house-made cornbread, ham and grilled asparagus and I described it in my review as both "Brilliant" and "One of the best meals I've ever eaten". High praise.

If I woke up and decided, what the hell, I'm having this for brunch, it would cost around £1556 including transfers and tips. This is obviously ridiculous so I decided to have a crack at making it at home instead.

My version includes home-made cornbread, bologna, grilled asparagus and a homemade hollandaise.


It is not as pretty as the one from Blossom neither was it as delicious but I think I had a damn good crack at it and it was obviously way cheaper to make than flying to NYC just to eat the original would be.

I used the Chipotle Scallion Double Cornbread recipe from Vegan Diner, Yves Bologna slices (fried in a little olive oil), a simple tofu "egg" recipe which involves dredging the tofu in equal parts apple cider vinegar and olive oil plus seasonings and then baking for 15 minutes each side, the Hollandaise recipe from Vegan Brunch was next and then I topped it off with braised asparagus cooked in a little oil, white wine, salt and pepper. We also coated the cornbread in breadcrumbs and fried that for good measure.

I'd say that I'd definitely make the egg, hollandaise and asparagus components again but I'd probably replace the Yves bacon with Redwood veggie bacon and the cornbread with a simple wholewheat English muffin just to make the whole meal quicker and easier which, at brunch, is important.

10 comments:

  1. It looks seriously good. I haven't made hollandaise ever! I don't use vegan brunch enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a pretty damn amazing effort to me! I've never made a hollandaise sauce, I really need to add this to my neverending list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a divine Benedict! It looks brilliant though! Love your homemade version - looks cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fancy! i have never had a benedict before...i am not fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks sooo yummy! I am gonna have a go at making this! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks seriously yum! That hollandaise sauce looks amazing. I need to try making that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think yours looks beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fantastic meal and it looks like you did a great job replicating it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yours is totally prettier than Blossom's. AND, Blossom's is not like that anymore. I just complained about it last week- see the awful pics and description on my blog. I wish it looked/tasted this appetizing when I had it. Major fail. So glad you got it while it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is now high on my list of things to make, im pretty sure Ive never eaten the non vegan version, and Jojo, this version looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!