Sunday 28 October 2012

Football Food Sunday - Nachos

Today is the last Football Food Sunday of Vegan MoFo 2012 and I finally made something I've had on the to-make list since MoFo 2010. Nachos. I tried to think back to the kind of nachos I would get in the pub as a vegetarian, there was always cheese, guac, salsa, sour cream and chilli. I've never been a fan of chilli so I'd order them without. I do however love refried beans so I decided to serve the nachos with them instead.

This picture doesn't really show how much stuff I ended up throwing on these, I was trying to get a pretty picture and I ended up putting loads more toppings on afterwards.


I used Isa's Cashew Queso as my cheese. I'd wanted to try it for ages and the vegan friend we invited over to eat with us this arvo isn't a fan of commercial vegan cheeses. We all LOVED this Cashew Queso. Seriously, it's ridiculous, make it now! It's not even difficult and we just kept pouring more and more onto our ever expanding plates!

I used store bought refried beans but added smoked paprika, onion powder and chilli powder to perk it up a little. The guacamole was just a super simple avo, salt, pepper, lemon juice mix because that's how I like it! The salsa was a store bought mild salsa from Sainsburys which I surprised myself by enjoying. I always, always, used to find even the mildest of salsas too hot but I think my spice-tolerance is finally improving. Yay! I used Toffuti sour cream as the sour cream replacement, I love that stuff. I feel like it's a really good dupe of the sour cream I remember (I did probably only ever eat it twice though!) and it's a surprisingly epic addition to any pizza.

Even after all of that we managed to squeeze in some dessert. Nick & I popped to Infinity Foods this morning and grabbed three of these new Razzle Dazzle Ice chocolate mint sorbets.



These new nut free iced treats taste exactly like After Eights! I love discovering fun new vegan products and I really like that these come in both large and mini tubs. We'll definitely be buying them again.

On Thursday night I cooked a roast dinner with the Field Roast we brought back from the USA & this evening I made a sandwich with the leftovers. Warm Field Roast & Cranberry Sauce. Perfect.


I love Football Food Sunday - it's the one theme that's stuck with me since I first started MoFoing and I expect that it'll be back next year!

14 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good to me. Not a football fan (well, I like soccer, but not US football) but I'd come for the food ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm!!! I like Tofutti sour cream too...and the cashew nacho cheese looks like the nacho cheese I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nachos are the perfect football food! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! I will indeed go make some cashew queso! Isn't Field Roast the best? Did you get to try the sausages? I can't remember if you've mentioned them. They are so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the chocolate razzle dazzle sorbet the other day. It was pretty good - not as good as boho gelato's chocolate sorbet but it is considerably cheaper so I'll buy it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you make the best things! I always wanna reach my hand into the laptop screen and pull out your plates of deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, those nachos deffo look like the ones you can get here, too! I want a plate of yours, please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to make this queso, I keep reading so many good things about it and it sounds perfect on nachos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your sunday posts. Nachos!! I need to make nachos soon, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nachos are going to be hurricane food for me today, since there are no games ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been dying to make queso ever since I tasted Food for Lovers, I'm totally making that PPK recipe!
    Mmmm, cranberry Field Roast sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. Yes. Yes to cashew queso - that stuff is insanely good, yes to new icey puddings and yes to tofutti. I have a friend who's just developed a major dairy allergy, and was asking what good dairy subs there are - I pointed him in Tofutti's direction!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah! Those nachos look sublime. I love nachos, but haven't had them in years. Back in high school, I used my make myself nachos all the time as an after-school snack. Also, did you love the Field Roast? I think that stuff is so good!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!