Wednesday 30 July 2014

Chocaffinitea, Brighton.

Whilst I'm not a coffee person I totally get the appeal of having somewhere to sit and chat away the hours over a hot drink with a friend or lover so I was overjoyed when I heard that Chocaffinitea had opened it's doors just around the corner from me. Situated on Gloucester Road just five minutes from the station and right in-between Kensington Gardens and Sydney Street this is a convenient spot for just about everyone.


Chocaffinitea is a health focussed, raw leaning kinda place who shine a spotlight on ethically sourced artisanal products. It's a really cute space that is bigger inside than first impressions would suggest and I love both the perfect people watching window table and the cosier area at the back of the cafe.


My main reason for deciding to pay Chocaffinitea a visit was that I'd heard a rumour that they had vegan hot chocolate on the stove, ready to go, all the time. This rumour was thankfully true and you can get a small shot sized cup of single origin hot chocolate for £1.25 or a proper sized mug for £2.50. 


Of course I went for the mug and boy was I glad I did. This smooth, rich, hot chocolate was wonderful and I can see myself returning for many more in the winter months. On my first visit I also tried a slice of raw peanut butter chocolate slice and my friend Justine had a slice of raw carrot cake. 


Whilst I enjoyed the chocolate and peanut butter slice it wasn't my dream cake, a little too healthy and a little too nutty. If I'm going raw I prefer a creamy chocolate cheesecake or a rich chocolate tart but this is filling a hole in the Brighton vegan cake market that has been crying out for some attention. Chocaffinitea also make raw vegan chocolates making this the perfect date spot for the chocolate lover in your life. I would love it if they'd balance these healthier options with something a little more decadent, like a vegan version of their chocolate caramel brownies, but I know my friend appreciated the gluten free-ness of these un-baked goods. My only other peeve was the "guilt fee" sign next to the raw cakes, I really think that guilt-free should be taken away from food discussions all together - it's  pretty unhealthy mindset and nobody should be feeling guilty for eating a gluten / sugar / fat filled treat.

One other cool thing about Chocaffinitea is that they're also a chocolate shop.


Almost everything on the shelves was vegan and the staff are super knowledgeable if you're unsure or have questions about where the bars are made. Options ranged from the pricier handmade raw chocolate from Forever Cacao (£5.50 40g) to beautiful looking organic bars from The Grenada Chocolate Company (£3.50 85g).

I've already been back once and I'll definitely be popping back for another hot chocolate fix as soon as the weather cools off. Chocaffinitea also sell pour over coffee and tea if you're that way inclined.

15 comments:

  1. I had a hot chocolate the other day and thought I was going crazy considering how hot its been lately so I'm pleased to see I'm not alone! Looks like a lovely little place, will definitely check it out next time I pop by thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally not alone! Hot chocolate whatever the weather!

      Delete
  2. It seems like a really nice place, I'll definitely go there when I visit Brighton next month! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you enjoy your trip. Hit me up if you need any tips!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is the type of place i need when i have a serious pms craving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. [ Smiles ] I am happy to know that you found something vegan in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really happy with the amount of vegan stuff going on there, it's great!

      Delete
  6. Oh man alive I need that hot chocolate pronto!!! Looks and sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be here soon, we're gonna drink all the hot chocolate and it's going to be amazing!

      Delete
  7. Love that type of hot choc, it looks like the stuff they serve in Bonbon in Manchester. And I agree with you about the guilt free especially as most raw desserts are probably as calorific as non raw down to all the nut and dates they use. I read the label on an Inspiral dessert pot recently and was suprised!The cafe looks fab though. I just bought Fran Costigan's Vegan Chocolate book and I can't wait to get stuck into making stuff from it. Also, I've just booked my travel for Veg Fest so will definitely come along and see your talk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek! That's super exciting, I can't wait to see you again! I've had Fran's chocolate book on my wish list for ages, I can't wait to see what you make from it.

      Delete

Talk to me!