Friday 18 August 2017

Reducing My Plastic Consumption

I've been into the whole reduce, reuse, recycle thing for as long as I can remember. I'm always the person encouraging everyone to bring their own plates and cutlery to the vegan potluck and removing your juice bottle from my kitchen bin as soon as you turn away. Yep. That's me! When I lived in Brighton I supplemented our kerbside recycling with monthly trips to recycling points dotted around town to recycle things like tetra paks of soy milk (did you know that you need to remove the plastic spout and lid before recycling these?) and textiles. I also paid a little bit of cash each month to Magpie Recycling Co-op's opt in scheme so that I could recycle things like yoghurt pots and tofu tubs. So I was kind of a champion recycler and I always washed out my zip seal bags so that I could reuse them until they fell apart, but the whole reduce thing? Not so great!

Since taking a tour of the Sea Shepherd ship the Bob Barker in Melbourne and reading a few articles and blog posts about the impact of plastics on our oceans I've been trying to do more. By putting more of a focus on reducing my plastic consumption I feel like I'm stepping up my game! It definitely isn't an easy thing to do when you're travelling; you can't buy in bulk, often have to avoid drinking the tap water, and are given plastic bags and straws all the time but here are the steps that I've taken so far.


• Refuse plastic carrier bags
One of the few things that I can say confidently in Japanese is fukuro wa kekkou desu which roughly translates to I don't need a bag. It's a very helpful thing to know how to say if you don't want to be given a carrier bag for the smallest of purchases. I'm working on the same for chopsticks, straws etc for when I return to Japan this winter. I travel with a fabric tote bag and a larger fabric shopping bag for those times when I'm in one place for long enough to do a proper food shop.

Buy some metal straws
I've wanted to get glass straws for ages but they aren't practical when you're backpacking. I was pretty excited when I saw bamboo straws being used all over the place in Bali and when I spotted these stainless steel straws at Atman Cafe in Ubud I knew that I had to grab a set, they're the perfect solution!


They were affordable and they can travel with us in our backpacks without getting damaged. They're a good reminder to ask for drinks without straws but we aren't having 100% success with that yet. We recently stayed at a resort on Lombok and we asked for our drinks without straws every single time and every single time they still came with a straw. It was incredibly frustrating! By this point you know the straw is going into the bin whether you use it or not so there's little point saying anything but damn, is it that ridiculous a request? Our new straws haven't solved the bubble tea dilemma yet either as it requires a much thicker straw and always comes in a plastic cup with a cellophane lid. I'm definitely ordering less bubble tea but I don't think that I can quit it completely.

Travel with a water bottle
This is easy and fantastic if you're travelling in places where you can drink the tap water. My only issue is that I'm on my third water bottle in two and a half years as I'm prone to leaving stuff in the seat pockets on busses and trains. I like to think that some other traveller has picked them up!

Don't use travel size toiletries
This is a tough one especially if, like me, you're only travelling with hand luggage. It's definitely tempting to use the cute little toiletries provided by hotels but just think of all of that plastic going into the ocean and you'll quickly go off them. I travel with as many solid products as possible including LUSH's Godiva shampoo bar and their Jungle solid conditioner as well as a solid bar of soap for my body and another for my face.

I'm just trying to be more mindful of my choices at this stage. When I eventually stop travelling I'd like to look at my cooking routine with a more critical eye and try my hand at making my own margarine, bread, and tofu but until that point I'm just trying my best. Is reducing your plastic consumption something that you're thinking about doing? Are you already on a similar journey or are you already the queen of zero waste? I'd love to hear what you're doing to help save the planet!

8 comments:

  1. I like to carry a little Tupperware when travelling, great for restaurant leftovers!
    I'm definitely trying to be more mindful of the plastic and trying to get my staples in cardboard boxes and paper bags instead of plastic (there's no bulk bins where I live). It just sucks that where I live most of the tasty mock meats come in plastic! :( I also recently learnt that tea bags are 25% plastic! What the hell! And to make the bags is a water intensive process, so I'm gonna finish off my tea bag stash then switch over to loose tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I totally do that!! I can't believe that I forgot to add it in. I love my tupperware, right now it's housing my tea stash but all over Asia I used it to grab takeout from buffet places to take on overnight trains. I had no idea that tea bags had plastic in them... wow! Bring on the loose tea!

      Delete
  2. I'm really trying to reduce my plastic consumption too and the thing that annoys me most is all the unnecessary plastic packaging that food comes in! I'd much rather buy everything loose but the supermarket only sells certain products in plastic packs and the farmers market only comes to my town once a month so I can't get things there. It's so disheartening because every week I come home with a bag full of plastic packaging that I don't even want :( It's hard but every little helps and I'm doing lots of other things to cut down on my plastic use! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And even when there are loose things at the supermarket you get a weird look when you put all of your loose potatoes / carrots / apples down at the checkout!

      Delete
  3. Good tips! I REALLY need to work on this. I never forget my reusable bags when I shop at Whole Foods, but for some reason, I always forget them when I'm in the mainstream grocery stores. Also, I need to order some new reusable straws. I have a sturdy plastic straw at home that I've used in my smoothies for years (still plastic, but reusable!), but the metal ones are so nice. All the glass ones I had have broken. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bianca! I think that steel straws are definitely the way to go. There's no way that I wouldn't end up breaking the glass ones!

      Delete
  4. Plastic reduction is a constant battle. I've been resisting those extra produce bags at the grocery store, only to get scolded for having loose beets (or what have you) rolling on the belt. There's no winning! You do have some great tips though and really, it just one small step at a time. Every effort counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That happens to me all the time. I swear the cashiers think that I don't understand how to use bags.

      Delete

Talk to me!