Sunday 1 May 2011

The West Hill Pub

At the beginning of the month I headed to local vegetarian pub The George to check out their Sunday roast, sadly it didn't go so well. Between the below par food & the terrible customer service I decided I definitely wouldn't be going back. Something good came out of it though because someone left me a comment tipping me off about a new place to get a vegan Sunday roast in Brighton, The West Hill, thanks Becca!

The West Hill Pub's just up the hill behind Brighton station & whilst it's not a vegetarian pub they serve food with vegan options Tuesday - Saturday with a roast dinner on Sunday, check out their website for details.

I was so excited when I saw that they not only make all of the usual roast accompaniments vegan but that they hit the holy grail of veganness by serving vegan yorkshire puddings. Amazing!

As you can see there's no yorkshire pudding here, I'll get to that in a bit! The lentil, tomato & nut roast came with sides of roasted butternut squash, sweet potato mash, roast potatoes, broccoli, peas, two kinds of braised cabbage & gravy. I loved the nut roast, it came packed full of cashews and roasted vegetables. The roast potatoes were also really great, perfectly cooked & still crispy on the outside. I enjoyed the cabbage, the gravy was the perfect consistency, the only thing I'd have changed would have been to have had more broccoli because it was really well cooked & I am a huge broccoli fan.

So, about that yorkshire pudding. When we got to the pub we were told that whilst they do usually do a vegan yorkshire pudding they didn't make any today because they didn't sell any last week. Unlike at The George the lovely staff were really apologetic & felt bad that they couldn't offer us vegans the full Sunday roast experience, they were so awesome about it that they even gave us a buy one get one free voucher for our next Sunday roast. How nice is that? Seriously, I haven't had such great customer service anywhere in a long time & I will definitely be heading back there soon for more of their delicious food. If you're in Brighton on a Sunday & in need of a roast dinner you should definitely head to The West Hill.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks fantastic!! i could eat that now for my brekkie!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will they be doing yorkies again another time, or was that the end of the YP adventures for them? I wonder if they freeze well. I'd be happy to have a defrosted YP from them. Will be checking this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegan yorkshire pudding!!! Next time I'm in brighton we have to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! That used to be my local many years ago. Fantastic looking Sunday grub, jojo - I must give it a go next time I'm down your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good!
    Mmm I really want a roast now!
    And how nice to give you a voucher too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a find! I've never seen anywhere serving vegan Yorkshires even up North!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachwins they said they'd start doing the yorkies again next week & I'll definitely be heading there to give them a try asap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so delish. I have to come to Brighton soon, so many amazing vegan options :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the post.Except now I'm craving roast potato.
    I have a friend who lives quite near there so we'll have to pop in next time I'm in Brighton.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks so good..i am trying to find new things to eat and this looks like a delicious thing to eat

    www.theveggielunchbox.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'd fly there only to try a Yorkshire pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh looks delicious!! I've never had yorkshire pudding ever, would love to see your vegan version though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's interesting - I went there with my family some 2 years ago for a Sunday roast, and I was stunned when they brought out a plate replete with yorkshire pud. We were very excited. But after a few bites though my other half looked dubious and said he didn't think it was quite right, so went to the bar to ask about it. He was assured that everything was vegan, except the yorkshires which had been added by mistake!

    Other than that the food was brilliant, and if they really have started serving vegan yorkies I will make an effort to make sure my next trip to Brighton falls on a Sunday so I can get one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jojo, sorry about the unrelated comment but I'd like to send you an email and couldn't find your address here. Could you send it to me as a comment in my blog, please? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review Jojo. Thanks for the great tip. Will def. check that out soon.

    BTW. Re: V Bites. I've been told that Heather Mills owns or part owns Redwood hence their products being on the menu. Not sure if you've heard that too?

    ReplyDelete
  16. CSF They are indeed doing vegan yorkies now, the kitchens being run by an ex-vegan & they say that they do vegan yorkies on their website.

    Danny, that is indeed true. VBites has always been owned by Heather Mills & she bought all or part of Redwood foods just over a year or so ago.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!