Friday 8 November 2013

VioLife Vegan Cheeses.

The super generous peep's at Veganic Foods in Germany sent me a bumper pack of vegan cheeses to try late this summer and I couldn't wait to dig in. I was totally one of those "I could never give up cheese" vegetarians. I know! I snapped out of it pretty swiftly and realised that the lives of dairy cows are obviously more important that my love of dairy - duh! 

Anyway, as a former cheeseoholic, I get super excited whenever a new non-dairy cheese appears on the scene. The Veganic brand have come up with ten, yep, ten, differently flavoured cheeses which come in pre-sliced packs alongside a pizza cheese which is taking indie pizza places, including Brighton's very own Pizza Face, across the UK by storm.


I dug into the cheese slices as soon as they arrived and to test their meltiness I popped a slice onto the chickpea tuna sandwich (recipe in Vegan With A Vengeance) I was halfway through making and grilled it for a few minutes. The cheese got bubbly and melty, it was dreamy.


My absolute favourite way to eat the cheese slices (aside from straight up outa the pack) was on a regular old cheese sarnie. These were up there with my favourite sandwiches pre-vegan and now I can eat them again, all day every day if I want to. Being an adult is a dangerous business!


My very favourite of the flavours on offer was Original which reminded me of the Leerdammer slices I used to enjoy, both in taste and texture. My second fave was Cheddar which tasted pretty similar to Original and this was closely followed by Pizza, Olive Oil, Olive and then Herbs in that order. I could take or leave the mushroom variety.

As I couldn't be bothered to make a pizza as delicious as Pizza Face's I used the Pizza Cheese in a variety of different ways, stuffed into a baked potato, melted on toast, out of the bag with a spoon, but my favourite had to be this lazy chick'n parm. Can't be bothered to cook a proper meal but want it to look fancy? Just grab a Fry's schnitzel, chuck some passata (from a box, obvs) ontop, sprinkle with herbs and then top it with Veganic Pizza Cheese. Perfect. I served mine with quinoa and Nick knocked up some pasta to have with his. It was delicious.


There are so many non-dairy cheese options out there now even compared to when I went vegan almost eight years ago. Imagine what being vegan 15 or 20 years ago must've been like. Maybe you don't have to, maybe you've been vegan for that long or longer, if so, kudos to you. I think you're pretty rad! This range of cheeses can definitely hold it's own in the ever growing vegan cheese market and I strongly recommend that you give it a try. In Brighton you can pick up my favourite flavours at Infinity Foods (just a coincidence but a great one!) or check out a health food store near you. You can also order online from Goodness Direct or Alternative Stores.

15 comments:

  1. What other vegan cheeses have you tried? What are the best and the worst?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Veganic cheeses too :) It's really hard to get them up here in Scotland but I usually end up picking some up from Vegan Cross whenever I'm down in London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the violife slices. The pepperjack ones you gave me were good but I like the plain ones too. Hopefully they'll become more widely available soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't focus on the cheese (not available in the US yet) because it seems there are there marshmallows on the plate with your grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe all the great vegan cheese out there nowadays. and 10 flavors! from one company!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness....look at all that cheeeeeesee! I'm so jealous! Hope you enjoy it. If there's any leftovers, you know where to send them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only tried the original ones so far, but really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I wish we could get those over here!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These vegan cheese slices from Violife, a Greek cheese company are the best! My favorite slice flavor is Mushrooms especially the Hot Peppers. You’ve probably seen my complete review on Violife cheese - I love them in quesadillas, creamy pastas and on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky, getting to feast on these!
    I loved their Pizza block cheese! So good. I think my favourite vegan cheese, topping the others because it is lighter and made from coconut. So cheddary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sooooo hope that becomes available in Canada someday. I really like Daiya but it would be nice to have some other options.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 20 years ago... nothing but Vegerella... or recipes in the back of The Vegan that suggested mixing margarine with soya flour...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every flavour except original, cheddar and pizza in the violife range contain msg. So I just stick to this ones without and love them, By far the best vegan cheese I have tried. My fav is original and tbh I had to double check it was vegan. I have tried a fair amount of vegan cheese including daiya and I feel this is the best yet. I finally feel vegan cheese satisfied!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Name: Donna
    Website: www.donnaandtora.com

    I love cheese so love these vegan cheeses.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!